Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I'll never use a band ring compressor again!! >

I'll never use a band ring compressor again!!

Notices

I'll never use a band ring compressor again!!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll never use a band ring compressor again!!

Getting everything ready to assemble the short block...Rings, are filed, pistons are checked, final cleaning, & install rings on first piston...I grab my trusty "old" ring compressor...first pull on the handle, & it breaks into several pieces...hmmm.
I called a couple of local speed shops, & a couple of machine shops. The only ring compressor they have on the shelf are the razor sharp edge band, & they are not even ratcheting, they are some sort of "clutch"...basically a piece of crap. So, to the web I go...I have seen the tapered non adjustable compressors, but have just simply avoided them. I suppose because I've never seen one, & just couldn't seem to wrap my head around how this thing works...Well, after a couple of hours of searching, I decided to bite the bullet...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SME-904280/

Two days later, it's at my front door. I couldn't wait to get out to the shop & give this thing a try...WOW, is all I can say. It's not that often that I come across something that is said to be simple, & it truly is SIMPLE...I'm definitely a convert, I will be purchasing various sizes in the near future.
So, if anyone has been holding out on trying one of these (or maybe I was the only one)...Probably the best $30 I've spent in a long time...
Why couldn't I come up with something like this???
Old 05-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink No Brainer for Smart Builder

No careful engine builder would ever use anything but that type of fixed bore ring compressor! Can you imagine completely assembling a nice expensive marine performance engine, getting it installed in the boat and then finding out you have a broken piston ring!
You'll never go there again!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar