Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Glass Dave and all you Glass Guys (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/25338-glass-dave-all-you-glass-guys.html)

Audiofn 05-28-2002 11:02 PM

Glass Dave and all you Glass Guys

As you may or may not know I am glassing in the windows on my boat. The openings are aprox 4 1/2" high and 14 1/2" long square. The glass on the boat is about 1/4" thick maybe a little more.

My question is how far should I taper the glass out and how deep should I taper in. What is my steps in this whole project? I want to get it all done so that when the glass guy shows up he can just go, but I have not been able to get in touch with him.

Jon

Mike J 05-28-2002 11:53 PM

AHHH Jon, We did some things while you were in SoCal SO...
What would you do if you
showed up on a AudioJob
and the boat owner said..
I cut all the holes Pulled
all the wires all you have
to do is hook it up, I
had some Guy on the internet tell me how to do
it DAAAAA.
Same thing with Glasswork.
Mike J.

Audiofn 05-29-2002 12:34 AM

Mike so I should call you;) ;) ;) Maybe I will do that tomarrow anyhow and see how you are doing. He wanted me to get it all set for him and then he is going to do all the glass work. He is kind of a premadona and does not do any grinding work himself. So I said I would do it. Unfortunatly I have not been able to get in touch with him and do not want to make any mistakes. I do not want this to crack back or to have him say WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 05-29-2002 12:45 AM

Jon, Go about 3 to 4 inches around the existing hole and taper it out away from the hole. This way the glass guy will be able to build layers up starting with the smallest first and work his way out with larger pieces. After that he will then be able to fair it out quite easily..... I never liked grinding myself, but I would usually do it anyway because I know how I would want to build it back up. In your case, the glass guy is risking having to do more work then anticipated if you screw up :eek: :D Good luck...I hope this helped...;)

glassdave 05-29-2002 12:55 AM

hey audio . . . hope the info i gave you on the IM screen helps. but unfortunatly i forgot you were having some one else do the layup. so he will prolly tell you every thing i said was wrong for you see. to us good glass guys. our individual way is the only way and every body else is just plain wrong :D :D :rolleyes: evan though there is like a million way to do it. LOL. . . . yes we are a finneky/ tempermental bunch. :D :p :rolleyes: good luck man :cool: :cool:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 05-29-2002 01:01 AM

Yeah! What GlassDave said!!!;) And if you want to Vacuum Bag it, well........that's another story:eek: :D :D :D

SlickNick 05-29-2002 01:34 AM

just get a can of expanding foam, and some white spray paint! just look at it from a mile away! perfect said the blind man!:cool: :cool:

Audiofn 05-29-2002 09:50 AM

Ya what was I thinking asking you glass guys for help ;) ;) ;) Dave get your ass on the next plane and come out and help me :p :p Or Sharkey I will be in NJ tomarrow you want to drive up to Franklin Lakes and hook a brother up. I will even pay close attention while you grind it down ;) ;)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 05-29-2002 07:39 PM

I am already booked out about a year in advance... :eek: ;) :D

FloridianSon 05-29-2002 09:28 PM

West systems has a 12 to 1 bevel recomended.They say cut an appropriate number of pieces of fiberglass fabric the same shape as the hole .The first piece should match the outside edge of the bevel,with subsequent pieces gradually getting smaller.the final layer should match the inside of the bevel at the hole.the combined thickness of the layers should be slightly thinner than the original panel to allow for shaping and fairing.:cool:I can fax it if needed.