New V-12 diesel shows up @ Duseldorf Marine Show >

New V-12 diesel shows up @ Duseldorf Marine Show

Notices

New V-12 diesel shows up @ Duseldorf Marine Show

Old 05-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Look who's first to post in this thread.
I leave OSO on 24/7 and have a program running on it that when the word "diesel" comes up my phone goes off so I can respond first, sort of like Google alerts!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
Two engines with smaller props, interesting:

http://articles.maritimepropulsion.c...g=/Emma-Maersk
A Cigarette on steroids!

What is amazing is that it took them that look to figure this out, next they'll add a beak!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Hey Joe! I knew this engine would get your juices flowing and your heart pounding faster, HAH!
This engine is a whole new design and build being produced as an aircraft engine by an aircraft engine company in Germany and was developed by a Russian engineer there.
It's got all the current technologies and then some, high pressure DI common rail, twin overhead cams with gear drive on most externals, variable pitch turbo technology, all aluminum block and heads, etc.,etc. I understand the top rpm currently is about
4500 rpms and the torque numbers are reasonable for most performance boat drive systems. It has very small dimensions for height and length considering its a V-12 also.
As I was saying this could be a very interesting marine high performance diesel offering if some have the wallet thickness to buy and use a few!

The German website: www.raikhlin.com

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Charter Member#350
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In theory this engine has to be VERY, VERY reliable if is made for an airplane. Looking forward to see this engine on a powerboat.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Registered

Ray & Zero - I agree this should in theory be a reliable engine and it is the best of the best it appears.

I also agree with the cost compared to the big Merc, if the time between overhaul is anything like an aircraft engine the saving alone in re-freshenings of the gas engines will pay for itself.

Let's see what happens there is at least an ember burning now!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raylar
Hey Joe! I knew this engine would get your juices flowing and your heart pounding faster, HAH!
This engine is a whole new design and build being produced as an aircraft engine by an aircraft engine company in Germany and was developed by a Russian engineer there.
It's got all the current technologies and then some, high pressure DI common rail, twin overhead cams with gear drive on most externals, variable pitch turbo technology, all aluminum block and heads, etc.,etc. I understand the top rpm currently is about
4500 rpms and the torque numbers are reasonable for most performance boat drive systems. It has very small dimensions for height and length considering its a V-12 also.
As I was saying this could be a very interesting marine high performance diesel offering if some have the wallet thickness to buy and use a few!

The German website: www.raikhlin.com

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Joe how come you didn't build this engine?? With all your diesel experience it should have been child's play for you. (srs)
Old 05-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Registered

Cat if I had your money I would have!

Seriously that is one of the first efforts that could replace a gas engine.

I still think the same as I did 25 years ago plus when we started AMT that the secret ingredient to making money in the smaller performace marine diesel market is to have a product that only cost 2-3 times the comperable gas engine but last 5 times longer and can attach to a common Merc drive like a Bravo and not have to move a bulkhead for the re-power market. If you can do this the OEM market will come after you.

I think until that can be accomplished there will never be a profitable market.

I'll digress that is why we were the first to have a turbo 7.3L Navistar, because that engine could fit my criteria at the time. I agree with all the people that the Duramax has potential but as a replacement to a 500-575hp Merc not the 700 plus some people throw around.

Take the newer Ford diesel, lots of aluminium in it, on it and that could be the engine to make money with.

As much as I endorse the Cummins product it is still too long to be a repower candidate.

Truth is, I'm too old, too tired and too broke all this talk is just good mental exercise so I don't digress into thinking a Bayliner is a performance boat!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Great post Joe do you remember that 39MTI with Yanmar 485s and Arnesons that ran over 100? Not too shabby for an old school inline 6 eh?

Banks must be having problems with that 800hp Duramax because I see nothing about it anywhere, or maybe he's still dialing it in and keeping it secret.

Can't wait to see the price of this V12...
Old 05-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
...to have a product that only cost 2-3 times the comperable gas engine but last 5 times longer and can attach to a common Merc drive like a Bravo and not have to move a bulkhead for the re-power market. If you can do this the OEM market will come after you.
you mean like the Yanmar 6LPA's in my boat with Bravo X diesel drives?

Those V-12's would certainly wake up my 37 though, and if the size stays close to what they are showing now they would fit, little tight width wise but plenty of room height and length. The problem is what drive can withstand the torque of a 700hp diesel and not suck up all the power in the process, Arneson?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Are they V-12's or 12-V's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.