Notices

Air Horns on a go-fast?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

GL cool vid!!!.

Now imagine there is a 70' Blue water to your starboard as you pass them to their port. A kid on jet ski launches bluewater wake and lands virtually right in your path.

Jet skis think they are the only person out there and I don't care how loud you are they will run right in front of you (last year we had one run into the side of a well known skater, and guess who gets the blame).

Last weekend for the Spring Harbor Hop we were running upstream @ Loto with a 46' rough rider with 1350's to the right, a Cig Gladiator in the center and a 43' black thunder with trips on the left. A 50' sedan bridge is in front of all of us and low and behold here comes a jet ski flying through the air right in the path of all three boats (the black thunder nearly had to come off of plane). You would think the pwc would here or see us coming but that was not the case..

These idiots don't get it. My wife gets so freaked out on the weekends that she holds one of those big hand held air horns while we are running.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baywatch
GL cool vid!!!.

Now imagine there is a 70' Blue water to your starboard as you pass them to their port. A kid on jet ski launches bluewater wake and lands virtually right in your path.

Jet skis think they are the only person out there and I don't care how loud you are they will run right in front of you (last year we had one run into the side of a well known skater, and guess who gets the blame).

Last weekend for the Spring Harbor Hop we were running upstream @ Loto with a 46' rough rider with 1350's to the right, a Cig Gladiator in the center and a 43' black thunder with trips on the left. A 50' sedan bridge is in front of all of us and low and behold here comes a jet ski flying through the air right in the path of all three boats (the black thunder nearly had to come off of plane). You would think the pwc would here or see us coming but that was not the case..

These idiots don't get it. My wife gets so freaked out on the weekends that she holds one of those big hand held air horns while we are running.
That is what my wife plans on doing this summer......like I said earlier, I have been involved twice in incidents with jet skies.......it really ruins a day........thank god no one was seriously hurt, but the last one if I did't react as quick as I did a father and his son (both on 1 ski) would not have went home that night......

Last edited by Here's Johnny; 05-14-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:27 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Hey John,

You can always do what I do. Be at the dock at 8 am when they open the hangar. Go straight to the ocean, beat the crap out of yourself and your passengers. Be back at the dock by 12:00 washing down.
Seriously, I think you are making a good decision here.
And seriously, thats what I do every time I run my boat. I absolutely hate the bays around here on the weekends. Especially, after 12:00 on a hot summer weeken afternoon. Aroud here, you would never know that gas is expensive and the country is in an economical mess.

Vinny

Last edited by Vinny P; 05-14-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Registered

I hear ya Johnny. I remember last year I was heading down to Reynolds from Oceanside near K&K. A jet skier's doing figure 8's in the middle of the buoys. I slow down to 25-30mph to pass him while going wide and the guy ends up 5 feet from me almost hitting me!! I gunned it to the bay constable who's sitting in the middle of Reynolds and explain to him what happened. The bay constable ends up going to Oceanside only to find them doing more figure 8's in a 5mph zone. I ended up docking at my place, smoking a cigar and having a beer while i watched them impound the jetski!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:14 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240
I hear ya Johnny. I remember last year I was heading down to Reynolds from Oceanside near K&K. A jet skier's doing figure 8's in the middle of the buoys. I slow down to 25-30mph to pass him while going wide and the guy ends up 5 feet from me almost hitting me!! I gunned it to the bay constable who's sitting in the middle of Reynolds and explain to him what happened. The bay constable ends up going to Oceanside only to find them doing more figure 8's in a 5mph zone. I ended up docking at my place, smoking a cigar and having a beer while i watched them impound the jetski!!!
Thats great. Love to hear things like that. Its about time the jet skiiers take a hit too. Too bad you couldnt video the ski being taken from the guy.
Be safe out there.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 20 Posts

For years Ive had a small hand held air horn mounted with velcro tape next to the helm....I can grab it very quickly and everybody on the lake hears it including the jet skiers....its VERY effective.

an old pic but you can see it on the extreme right about halfway up.
Attached Thumbnails Air Horns on a go-fast?-july-2005-poker-run-pics-006.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Just a bit of warning....when i raced ATV's I made rigged one of the hand held airhorns up to a lever on the handlebars so I could let the slower lapped guys know I was comming by in a hurry... it backfired in a way...

People do not expect to hear a horn while they are on a jetski or quad for that matter... they hear it, freak, panic and do all sorts of stupid things without thinking.

Hell, I used to drive firetrucks and ambulances, loud sirens, lots of bright blinky lights, big and all had loud airhorns. You would believe the stupid stuff people did in front of me.

Last edited by phragle; 05-15-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GLH
Your so dammed fast . It's like Fighter Jets at an Air Show . First you see them then as they pass you hear the too cool sounds . Right On !
Old 05-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Just a bit of warning....when i raced ATV's I made rigged one of the hand held airhorns up to a lever on the handlebars so I could let the slower lapped guys know I was comming by in a hurry... it backfired in a way...

People do not expect to hear a horn while they are on a jetski or quad for that matter... they hear it, freak, panic and do all sorts of stupid things without thinking.

Hell, I used to drive firetrucks and ambulances, loud sirens, lots of bright blinky lights, big and all had loud airhorns. You would believe the stupid stuff people did in front of me.
I suppose you could just wait until they suddenly make a hard turn without looking and smash right into you.....
Old 05-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Im just saying that if you honk at them..be prepared for them to make a hard right turn into you.........

Boat defensively,buy a battleship