Commentary: What if Reggie Fails? >

Commentary: What if Reggie Fails?

Notices

Commentary: What if Reggie Fails?

Old 05-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by In The Pink
I love his boats. I love his enthusiasm. But his age is what scares me. At 71, stuff happens. Then where does the company go from there.
71's the new 40!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 733 Likes on 329 Posts

In a way Reggie reminds me of Carrol Shelby.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Originally Posted by Cavanti53
Do you also think there are no takers because #1 the market does NOT need another Cat or V-hull manufacture regardless of who it is, #2 RF is obviously not a safe investment risk. He obviously did a poor job of managing money on at least 2 different times at Fountain, and #3 when is it time to pack it in? Like was previously mentioned, he is in his 70's.....Time to retire!

Oh by the way, Last time I checked when you go bankrupt you usually don't have money, other businesses, and cash laying around. The firends that i have that were unfortunate to have to file had to rebuild their credit even to buy another house or car. How is it that he was spared personal bankruptcy while the vendors and employees suffered?

Anyway, I am done with the RF subject. Old news...

Outerlimits new cats, Skater 388SLW, Nortech 52, DCB M35, Mercury 1350's, MTI, Sterling, Potter, Teaugue, etc..
That is the new new news. Hard workers who have whethered most of the storm who continue to develop new products and stand by their customers...

Enough said!
I think your points about the market are valid, which is what I meant when I wrote:

"At this point (and, yes, according to my sources have been discussions) with other builders there have been no takers. I think that speaks more to the state of the market than anything else."

That's why I believe no builder has said yes. Yet if a builder—any builder—thought as poorly as you do about Mr. Fountain's business acumen (and yes, it's worth questioning), why would he bother discussing any sort of joint venture with him? And yes, there have been discussions.

As for the statement that RF Powerboats is "old news," I must respectfully disagree. When you report on a story, you are obligated to follow it to its conclusion. This story began publicly unfolding late last year, which isn't all that long ago. In this case, my most recent reporting mixed with commentary, which was labeled as such.

Last, to address vSteve's point: "If you control the initial perception, you can pretty much control what gets publicized after that."

Not exactly. In fact, not even in close. If that were the case, do you really think Mr. Fountain would want a story called, "Commentary: What if Reggie Fails?"

As I said earlier, if you report on a story you—as a reporter or commentator—are obligated to follow it to its conclusion. So you can be dead sure that if RF Powerboats comes to nothing I will report it.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 05-14-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:57 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

What if Reggie catches a cold?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
What if Reggie catches a cold?
That was funny! I am still laughing at this title...

As far as Matt following thru with the story, I agree and you always do a great job.

I kind of meant old news for us / me. I am so tired of who did what at Fountain and Reggie left and now Liberty is in trouble on and on. I think Liberty did great to save the brand. RF is lucky his company didn't go under completely. My personal opinion he should have stayed on as a consultant during his last few years and been appreciative someone stepped up to save Fountain.

Anyway, It makes you wonder about the economy in certain areas with Ferrari and Lamborghini having record years and new models sold out for 2 years. MTI, Skater, OL, and Nortech still selling big dollar fast boats.
DCB has how many 1350 boats?

I think Matt said it best at Desert Storm. How many sets of new Merc 1350's? That's huge and a record crowd....

I think things a starting to loosen up and the factories who have stuck it out, stood by their customers, and came up with new technology, and unique products will be rewarded soon with sales...hopefully.

But, Any new manufacture of a cat or v-hull to show up just to prove a point and saturate and very small customer base does nothing for anyone.

It happens in all businesses. We have a distributor selling at little to no margins. He will steal some sales for a year or two and then go under again. But in the meantime screw up the market for everyone else.

Matt, Thank you for the great stories on DS and all of the others. Any new news on the new Sterling 1700's or OL's new cats? Skaters 388SLW should be ready soon and maybe will give Predator a run for his money. Any other Nortech 52's being built? I love the Poker Run scene, the boats, and all the stories better than racing now.
It's real people with their own money and a whole lot of pride. Very little politics......

If Powerboat had 1/3 of the magazine devoted to Poker Runs and Poker Run machines I would love it.....

Thanks again.

"What if Reggie catches a cold" LOL - ha ha
Old 05-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No doubt in my mind that you will Matt. I guess what I meant is this. The initial press about RF leaving was quickly overshadowed by what's RF going to do next? He was being talked about, which he likes. So the story is about a new venture, not what's already happened.

Heck, Liberty is getting all the bad press, and that's with no coverage at all. That's what I meant about controlling the perception.

I'm sure you've thought about a similar story about what's going on there no? Last I heard, they were doing pretty well with their government contracts. But no real hard facts.

Last, to address vSteve's point: "If you control the initial perception, you can pretty much control what gets publicized after that."

Not exactly. In fact, not even in close. If that were the case, do you really think Mr. Fountain would want a story called, "Commentary: What if Reggie Fails?"

As I said earlier, if you report on a story you—as a reporter or commentator—are obligated to follow it to its conclusion. So you can be dead sure that if RF Powerboats comes to nothing I will report it.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve
No doubt in my mind that you will Matt. I guess what I meant is this. The initial press about RF leaving was quickly overshadowed by what's RF going to do next? He was being talked about, which he likes. So the story is about a new venture, not what's already happened.

Heck, Liberty is getting all the bad press, and that's with no coverage at all. That's what I meant about controlling the perception.

I'm sure you've thought about a similar story about what's going on there no? Last I heard, they were doing pretty well with their government contracts. But no real hard facts.
Thank you! How about a story on Fountain, Donzi & Baja rather than "what if reggie fails?". OMG, what if Reggie fails??? The world as we know it is doomed!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raylar
Because He Loves It!
Because It's all He Knows!
Because He Hates to Lose!
Because He Ain't Done Yet!
Because He is Just "Reggie"!

God Bless Him!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Go Reggie Go
Old 05-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hauling Trash
Go Reggie Go
Yeah , Go Reggie,,, GO AWAY..!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Thank you! How about a story on Fountain, Donzi & Baja rather than "what if reggie fails?". OMG, what if Reggie fails??? The world as we know it is doomed!
That story is on my list for next week. I do need to check in with the Liberty Group.

No one said or implied doom or gloom if Mr. Fountain fails to get his new venture off the ground. In fact, that was part of the point of the story. I've been reporting on his stated plans. But it was time to catch up and see where he's gotten, and at this point the answer is ... not far.

What would his failure mean to the industry? At this point, probably not much (and personally I wish him well). There is no crying need for another boat company in a depressed and saturated market If he succeeds, that's a good sign for the industry. He'll need things like fiberglass and resin and engines.

Anyway, good suggestion on catching up with Liberty. It was on my list, but I still appreciate the input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.