Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   8.3 l mercs (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/253552-8-3-l-mercs.html)

Hydrocruiser 05-14-2011 05:26 PM

8.3 l mercs

What type pistons and other stuff make the 8.3 l 430 HP engine what it is or isn't?

Fair to compare it to an 525HP?

Looking for somebody who knows to compare and contrast please!

Thanks.

Raylar 05-14-2011 07:28 PM

First of all they are 8.2L engines also known as 502 cubic inch engines. From what I understand they are basically gen 6 502 GM blocks that Mercruiser assembles with a GM crankshaft, forged rods and someones forged pistons. They have a new version of Mercury's 502 Edlebrock cast and built cylinder head with a slightly modified HP525 intake with a new round 90mm throttle body and a fairly mild hydraulic roller camshaft. They are equipped with the same catalytic exhaust system that was fitted on the early 2010 496's. When they are ordered for an existing boat for re-power they come less the catalyst system and standard 496 type exhaust manifolds and risers.
I have not heard to much in the way of how they are holding up but I had heard that Tyler Crockett has done some warranty repairs on a few with internal issues. The problem with feedback at this point is that so few have been sold and in use that there is not really a good sampling of customer use and feedback.
I will be really curious to see how the catalytic converter emission systems hold up in actual use, especially in salt water?
I personally think that this catalytic emissions system may be the initial achilles heel of this new engine.
Hopefully Tyler or some users will come back with their information or feedback.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Pismo10 05-17-2011 02:54 PM

I guess we will have to wait a bit for more people to really use them for a while. The big aftermarket deal will be swapping the exhaust and cam and trying to get close to a 525 clone.

Raylar 05-17-2011 04:21 PM

Without a whole new ECM or major mods to the ECM a camshaft and exhaust upgrade would not be possible. The factory Merc ECM runs the whole emissions -catalyst system on this engine and its not modifiable at this time and even though you could buy the non-catalyst ECM as a replacement part from Merc its gonna be expensive and no one has the reprogramming ability on the non-catalyst ECM yet. Its gonna be hard nut to crack for manufacturers and companies to get around because doing so is a CRIME! under the new laws!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Pismo10 05-17-2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Raylar (Post 3405641)
Without a whole new ECM or major mods to the ECM a camshaft and exhaust upgrade would not be possible. The factory Merc ECM runs the whole emissions -catalyst system on this engine and its not modifiable at this time and even though you could buy the non-catalyst ECM as a replacement part from Merc its gonna be expensive and no one has the reprogramming ability on the non-catalyst ECM yet. Its gonna be hard nut to crack for manufacturers and companies to get around because doing so is a CRIME! under the new laws!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Someone will try before you can blink.