Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Breaking News! Powerboat Magazine Sold!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/253790-breaking-news-powerboat-magazine-sold.html)

LaveyOne 05-17-2011 04:41 PM

Breaking News! Powerboat Magazine Sold!!!!

This is the breaking news as reported by Performance Boats Magazine, via their online side.

Check out the story here... :eek:

http://www.performanceboats.com/

LaveyOne 05-17-2011 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3405701)
Thats pretty funny, considering the deal is not official. Only a letter of intent. Now that's not to say the word is that it's eminent but the fat lady hasn't sung! I assume any press release stating PBM is sold would look pretty foolish if the deal fell apart at the last moment. Just sayin.

And with that said - looking forward to the future prospects of PBM.

Tank! What's up bro?!?

Well, I suppose you'd have more insight than most... What's the vibe?

Matt Trulio 05-17-2011 06:34 PM

Whether or not the story is accurate—and I have no official word from anyone at Powerboat at this point—the reporting is pretty thin. Did the author even bother to try to reach either the current publisher or the possible new publisher for confirmation> If so and the parties declined to comment, that should be stated in the article.

So a rumor is all it takes for a "news story." Even in the rumor turns out to be true, the reporting is, once again, pretty thin. Make that shoddy.

thisistank 05-17-2011 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by LaveyOne (Post 3405731)
Tank! What's up bro?!?

Well, I suppose you'd have more insight than most... What's the vibe?

Is that you Ray? What's up dog?

Refer to Matts post...he's more ellequent than I...as usual.

LaveyOne 05-17-2011 06:37 PM

Haha! Yeah it's me... It was good hanging with you and the wife at DS. Too few and far between.

Thanks for your input... Hope to see ya soon!

tomtbone1993 05-17-2011 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3405701)
Thats pretty funny, considering the deal is not official. Only a letter of intent. Now that's not to say the word is that it's eminent but the fat lady hasn't sung! I assume any press release stating PBM is sold would look pretty foolish if the deal fell apart at the last moment. Just sayin.

And with that said - looking forward to the future prospects of PBM.

Next you will be telling us Hustler is not buying Fountain.....:party-smiley-004::lolhit:

LaveyOne 05-17-2011 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio (Post 3405738)
Whether or not the story is accurate—and I have no official word from anyone at Powerboat at this point—the reporting is pretty thin. Did the author even bother to try to reach either the current publisher or the possible new publisher for confirmation> If so and the parties declined to comment, that should be stated in the article.

So a rumor is all it takes for a "news story." Even in the rumor turns out to be true, the reporting is, once again, pretty thin. Make that shoddy.

Didn't mean to start a firestorm... Just saw the news on PB and thought it was "thread-worthy" over here at O.S.O.

thisistank 05-17-2011 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by LaveyOne (Post 3405743)
Haha! Yeah it's me... It was good hanging with you and the wife at DS. Too few and far between.

Thanks for your input... Hope to see ya soon!

Right on brother...we need to hook up soon man!

E Colby 05-17-2011 07:51 PM

A competing publication should never be counted on as a reliable source of information for the sale of a magazine. If indeed it is happening, look at TradeOnlyToday.com, or a similar objective source to do the reporting. Just sayin...

Matt Trulio 05-17-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by LaveyOne (Post 3405764)
Didn't mean to start a firestorm... Just saw the news on PB and thought it was "thread-worthy" over here at O.S.O.

No worries, LaveyOne, you started nothing. If I were in a different profession I would see the "story" as thread-worthy, too.

Two sentences. The entire story is two sentences. No mention of any attempt at confirmation. The "reporter" simply wanted to get a headline posted as quickly as possible.

Why? I think Eric Colby explained it.

As a rumor, it's good stuff, especially if it's true. But as "reporting," which is what the "story" is meant to look like, it's complete junk.