Tyler Crockett-Raylar HO600 dyno results >

Tyler Crockett-Raylar HO600 dyno results

Notices

Tyler Crockett-Raylar HO600 dyno results

Old 05-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Think some here might be misunderstanding my reply.
What I am saying is that for about $15K a 496 owner can take his Merc 496 and turn it up to a reliable 625-650HP complete efi, N/A freshwater cooled long lived engine package.
If you want a HP- HP comparison lets check and see what a Mercury Racing 600SCI is selling for less drive, thats a good compariosn.
Can one build a 1200HP BBC with supercharging for $30K or so, absolutely. It won't go 400-700hrs, it will be an automatic Bravo drive no-go, so add in the new $25K drive it will require, the extra fuel it will take and the 150-200HR refresh periods required and guess what, Its a totally different animal!
Lets try and keep an apples to apples compariosn so most readers can equate it to their boats equipped with Merc. 496's.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
IinsureU:

Hey Blane

Good to hear from you on OSO!
I think your Raylar HO600 "Purple Monstas" were some of the first of the Raylar HO600's and if my memory serves me right along with Velocity Vectors, date back to 2005 and 2006.
Email your mailing address to the tech Raylar email address and I will mail you two new HO600 replacement stickers for your top plates.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Yes, you are correct on all acounts...

I am actually looking for "New" plates, with new stickers applied of course. Happy to pay for them, just need to know the cost. [email protected] should work for an e-mail address to send me an invoice or whatever at your convenience.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Think some here might be misunderstanding my reply.
What I am saying is that for about $15K a 496 owner can take his Merc 496 and turn it up to a reliable 625-650HP complete efi, N/A freshwater cooled long lived engine package.
If you want a HP- HP comparison lets check and see what a Mercury Racing 600SCI is selling for less drive, thats a good compariosn.
Can one build a 1200HP BBC with supercharging for $30K or so, absolutely. It won't go 400-700hrs, it will be an automatic Bravo drive no-go, so add in the new $25K drive it will require, the extra fuel it will take and the 150-200HR refresh periods required and guess what, Its a totally different animal!
Lets try and keep an apples to apples compariosn so most readers can equate it to their boats equipped with Merc. 496's.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
here is a 600sci for sale with exhaust for 35K with warranty...http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o37827-en.html what headers would perform the best on the raylar??? what was used on the dyno to get those results??? add that to the 15K and there's a good comparison. is there a warranty on a raylar package????

Last edited by LAriverratt; 05-25-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

I am not exactly sure what header set Tyler used on this dyno test, but I know Wayne had a set of CMI Sporttubes to use on this engine.
Other customers have achieved slightly lower values (640-650HP) with E-Top dyno headers.

As for total cost you are correct that that approximate $15K cost does not include exhaust.

When Raylar does this engine upgrade on a customers Merc 496, we have a 1 year warranty on engine for recreational use only. I am not sure what Tylers warranty is possibly Tyler or Wayne will offer that information.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-26-2011, 07:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
what was used on the dyno to get those results???
Tyler used an old set of CMI sport tubes for the 496....they were wet also. I also am put on CMI sport tubes, there should be a picture of them early in this thread.

As far as cost for my complete project including R&R and all incidentals....$17,500.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Baja_man
Tyler used an old set of CMI sport tubes for the 496....they were wet also. I also am put on CMI sport tubes, there should be a picture of them early in this thread.

As far as cost for my complete project including R&R and all incidentals....$17,500.
that's not bad at all. I would need two sets of headers for sure along with new tail pipes so that would be an added cost for me. I have looked at different options for upgrades and I have corresponded with Ray before, not sure if he remembers, but, I just seem to keep coming back to Raylar as my #1 option
Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
I would need two sets of headers for sure along with new tail pipes
I know new Dana's can be had for ~$2800/set, quite a bit cheaper than the CMI's with similar results.

As far as my experience with Raylar, it has been great. He seems to available to answer any questions and returns phone calls. As I get the boat on the water with some real world numbers I will post that information too. My only real problem seems to be with marine mechanics in general. They just seem to take entirely too long with any project I give them. Tyler was probably the best, but I did not have hard deadlines that had to be meet and he had ample time to complete project on time, which he did. And I ALWAYS start these projects in the winter and am always scrambling to get boat by memorial weekend for some reason.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I think you need long tube headers for full potential with this n/a package. Another factor to consider is that when I switched from a 496 to the 525 my exhaust did not line up and I needed to change to a different style tail pipe to keep my Q&Q. I would have needed different tail pipes anyway but the new "Z" pipes were very expensive. I don't remember the exact amount but the exhaust relocation, pipes and painting the transom added several thousand $ to the re-power cost. Then the Bravo X let go after 7 hours.

Now put some $ away for that new drive....
Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I would have to start something like this late fall and have it back together way before now. there are a couple good shops close to me that I would trust but I've never used them personally so I'm not sure how they are time wise. Our boating season here is long and I would hate to be without the boat for very long plus the tickfaw 200 is the first weekend of may and I sure wouldn't want to miss that one!!

yep thirdchildhood...my worry is the drives when I do something!!!! what are ya gonna go to???

Last edited by LAriverratt; 05-26-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

I have twin Raylar 600's with the Dana exhaust and the long (105) risers. They are designed to line up where stock left off. I will get some pictures for you this weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.