Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
so ya think ya cant make a rookie mistake? >

so ya think ya cant make a rookie mistake?

Notices

so ya think ya cant make a rookie mistake?

Old 07-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default so ya think ya cant make a rookie mistake?

I did. After owning a go fast for 18 yrs I finally did it. Ran out of gas. Planned today trip and figured I had a lil reserve. Didn't plan on running about 10 extra miles to avoid a storm. Ran out of petrol about 100yds from my inlet. Tried waving down about 6 boats before someone stopped. Kinda surprising how many just passed by a fellow later in distress. I would like to thank the family that did stop and pull us in. And as before I will never pass by anyone and not offer assistance...
Old 07-03-2011, 01:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think were all guilty of making rookie mistakes, I know I am and have been boating my whole life.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:31 AM
Registered

In 2005 we stalled and everyone just waved back at us like we were being friendly, luckily the water police came by and got us towed in.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:27 AM
Registered

Smile

Hey we've all done it, one way or another

Sorry to hear about your issues getting a tow back. I think too many people on the water, haven't spent any time looking into what different hand signals mean and are used for. It's a common part of safety to know the important signals, since you're not always able to communicate by voice. When someone is waving their hands above their heads, it's not "hey I'm just soooo happy I felt as going like this at you" it's "I'm in the ****, need help NOW" So next time someone don't stop, tap your index finger on your right temple and see if the azzhat that just went by understands that one
Old 07-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

thats not a rookie mistake you need to know how low your gauges go i do it all the time and as far as people stopping to help open your engine hatch that will help
Old 07-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been working out a problem all summer on my Donzi. Finally figured it out and brought the boat to the ramp. Put the bilge plug in and put the boat in the water. Then remembered that I had not put the cap on the flush out hose! Was filling up my bilge like crazy. Grabbed the hoses and cap and stopped it. All things happen for a reason however, I found out my bilge pump was broken....