question for the Ilmor V-10 guys ! >

question for the Ilmor V-10 guys !

Notices

question for the Ilmor V-10 guys !

Old 05-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
Is this the boat that sat at Lake Cumberland for YEARS?! Always liked the idea but heard it was a bit of a handful. It was there back in '05 when I ran the two ilmor talons that were also there.

Have your buddy talk to ilmor about doing some upgrades. The 550s were pretty old school compared to what they are doing now (dress and power). Believe these had the coolers in the rear if I'm not mistaken.
Good memory! Spot on.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Ilmor is the primary sponsor of the New Jersey Performance Powerboat Club for 2011. If the owner is a member of NJPPC, he might be able to get some favorable treatment from Ilmor. I don't know for a fact; Imjusayyin...
i will forward that info along to him
Old 05-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Registered

boats only got 57 hours on it...dont think he'll be wanting to do any upgrades yet lol...if its not broke dont fix it
Old 05-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
...if its not broke dont fix it

Since when?!

Tell him to get used to the boat. With the low hours I bet its the same one I'm thinking of. Seem to recall the boat was a bit squirrely at speed. Im sure even if it is it could be worked out (if it hasn't already). Rik on here may be a good one to touch base with on this particular boat to be sure.

Have a blast and be safe!!!

(btw bern I still owe ya details on my triple trailer, shoot you an email tonight)
Old 05-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The water pumps on the 550s are an old design than what Ilmor uses now. But I have had no problem with them. If the boat has been in salt water and they werent flushed immediatly they corrode on the inside and the bushing that holds the shaft wears out and causes the impellers to premeturely wear and fail. I replaced my housings and they work great. If you take the impellers out and they have broken apart the rubber pieces will go through the housing and plug up your coolers. Usually the first cooler after the water pump. But I found pieces in both the oil cooler and the engine coolant cooler. Not easy to flush. The pieces will not go backwards through the system and come out.

Also, you need to pressure check the headers on a regular basis. The early design headers are weak at the collector and the welds crack and cause water to be sucked in the bottom two tubes and in to the combustion chamber of the 8 and 10 cylinders or the 7 and 9. This causes the engine to hydraulic and parts broke. Happend to me and I had to fix a head (four valves and weld up) and replace two pistons and resleeve a cylinder!! Not a easy fix.

Just some helpful info on the Viper Engine.

Just for thought- I have 600hrs on both my engines with the stock rods crank and pistons. Clearences are still perfect!!! These motors are awesome.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Registered

here ya go
Attached Thumbnails question for the Ilmor V-10 guys !-hustler5.jpg   question for the Ilmor V-10 guys !-hustler1.jpg   question for the Ilmor V-10 guys !-hustler3.jpg  

Old 05-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Registered

the water pumps on this specific boat are Keith Eikert pumps (according to the ensignia on the backing plates)
MachZ thanks for the input
Old 05-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
...Tell him to get used to the boat. With the low hours I bet its the same one I'm thinking of. Seem to recall the boat was a bit squirrely at speed. Im sure even if it is it could be worked out (if it hasn't already). Rik on here may be a good one to touch base with on this particular boat to be sure...
Certainly, having 400 pounds less engine weight would move the CG further forward. On the other hand, there have been at least two other 388's with Arneson's and big power, so I'm sure the setup will work. The two boats that I remember were "Double Trouble" and "Black Cloud", which had HUGE power, and ran some really big numbers. I personally saw Double Trouble run a solid 110+. Like you said, if there are any issues, the Arneson guys would be my first call.

Last edited by C_Spray; 05-23-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Registered

we ran it into the low 90's yestrerday in 10-12 mph winds n im guessin 1 ft barnegat bay slop and was stable as a rock. i was also in one years ago early 2000's with 675 eikerts n arnesons and that one was a handful and ran low 1teens...that one had to be trimmed to the moon to get it over 95 and to assist with settling her down
Old 05-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Registered

n another
Attached Thumbnails question for the Ilmor V-10 guys !-hustler4.jpg   question for the Ilmor V-10 guys !-hustler2.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.