Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   First Time Poker Run (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/254166-first-time-poker-run.html)

bert4332 05-22-2011 09:23 PM

First Time Poker Run

Thinking of going down to Clear Lake, TX for either next week's or the end of June's poker run. Besides hotel and entry fees, food, beer, are there other expenses that are not usually expected? It's a 70 mile run, so how much gas is expected, I have a 150 gallon tank, I'm not going WOT, I'm just gonna go with the flow stay back and watch while also participating.

For a first timer, any advice on anything?

thanx

Randy Nielsen 05-23-2011 12:22 AM

#1 Have a great time. I have done DS twice & had a blast both times, as far as fuel top the tank off to begin with if they have a break like DS there will be plenty of time to refuel. I run 200 gal & after the entire run & various playing I had no problem with fuel. #2 See #1 Have a great time

timewarp 05-23-2011 01:07 AM

I agree with Randy, fill the fuel tank, I've gone to quite a few poker runs and there's always the guy who is running around trying to find fuel because he's gonna run out, while everyone else is having a great time. Just fill it up when you get to town and if you have to tow some home with you, you'll use it up next trip out. Always nice to take a few extra bucks then what you plan on in case something comes up. Sometimes there might be a photographer that wants to sell you a nice picture of your boat. But most of all have a great time.

Randy Nielsen 05-23-2011 01:24 AM

Agree with timewarp on the cash issue these are boats you know how that goes & you might meet some cool people & want to buy em a drink. Have fun & post pics when you get back!!

PokerRun388 05-23-2011 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by bert4332 (Post 3409825)
Thinking of going down to Clear Lake, TX for either next week's or the end of June's poker run. Besides hotel and entry fees, food, beer, are there other expenses that are not usually expected? It's a 70 mile run, so how much gas is expected, I have a 150 gallon tank, I'm not going WOT, I'm just gonna go with the flow stay back and watch while also participating.

For a first timer, any advice on anything?

thanx

Hey, if you go take pics and post em for us... That looks like a really fun run, I was looking at Clear lake online... Lots of open water...!!! You've got a 29 LaveyCraft,, thats a great boat for the PR....

PARADOX 05-23-2011 08:56 PM

I went to the Key West run a few years ago. Full tank, didn't need fuel until I got there. 160 +miles. A year or so later, Destin run, shorter distance, didn't fill up, I thought I'll be ok, I ran out of gas. Have a good time and top off.