Has anyone bought a repo'd boat >

Has anyone bought a repo'd boat

Notices

Has anyone bought a repo'd boat

Old 05-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone bought a repo'd boat

I was looking at a 02 baja 25 outlaw that is a bank repo and was wondering if any else has bought a repo before and if so what was the outcome. The boat looks in good condition from the pics I havent seen it in person yet. It has a 496 mag ho b1 drive 4 blade bravo 1 prop and a custom eagle trailer. Thanks for your help
Old 05-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by lipps
I was looking at a 02 baja 25 outlaw that is a bank repo and was wondering if any else has bought a repo before and if so what was the outcome. The boat looks in good condition from the pics I havent seen it in person yet. It has a 496 mag ho b1 drive 4 blade bravo 1 prop and a custom eagle trailer. Thanks for your help
I bought the Fountain 35' Lightning Classic that I used to have as a repo from National Yacht Brokers in FL (I am in CA). The transaction went smoothly, I offered considerably less than they were asking and they took it, I had a survey completed before paying so I had an idea what I was getting. Then had the boat shrink wrapped before shipping across the country.
When I received it here I had to have a trailer built, but I knew that going in. I also took it to a Mercruiser service place for a full service and inspection. It had just under 200 hours and there was some wear in the drives, needed a few bearings, etc. But no big surprises.

I would not be afraid to go that route again, but the trick is you have to be able to buy it right so you have some wiggle room. You can figure that if the previous owner lost it he probably wasn't spending money on maintenance at the end.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:24 AM
Registered

I have bought 2 repoed boats and everything went perfect and the boats were great. The place I bought it from took care of any issues with the boat.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my current Formula from a guy that did a mechanics lean on it. Was a crazy deal that worked out well for me because I had most of the missing parts.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:32 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I've bought a number of them. Private sellers can make up all kinds of stories to make you feel better about the boat......but could by lying. A repo broker is going to tell you he doesn't know anything about the boat (the truth) so you get un-easy and do your own research.

The reality is the private seller is more likely to screw you over than the repo broker.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:39 AM
Registered

My boat was a repo and had been partially striped. The dealer put it back together for the most part, the only problem I had was the gas going bad from sitting to long. I took it for a long test drive and had a survey done.

You should do the same to any used boat you are considering purchasing, repo or not.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

I've bought many repos, just do your homework 1st and get a survey, and machnical inspection, so you know exactly what you are getting into.
Dean
Old 05-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

A you sure it is a good deal? The reason I ask is because I shopped for over a year for a good deal on a repo boat using the liquidation houses online. My friend got a great deal on a boat 3 years ago that was a repo......however, here is what I found.

Boats are almost always missing the accessories like mooring covers, bimini's, props, batteries, stereos. You will prob never find one with fenders, ropes, coast gaurd equipment. Might not sound like a big deal, but you have to factor that into the price.

The boats I looked at sat outside for at least a few months without covers, interior was filthy.

Good think yours has a trailer, most do not include trailer unless they are cats. I have seen repo sites advertising the boat sitting on the custom trailer made for it but state in the ad the trailer is not included or available.....wtf are they doing with the trailers?

IMO when I factored all of these things in, plus repairs on some the deals are no longer deals. 5 years ago when go fast boats were selling at a premium there were real deals on repos.

I agree a private seller may have something to hide, however when you look at a used boat it is easy to tell if the owner took good care of it. Not only the boat, but look at his garage and yard....attention to detail.

Make sure you search boattrader, oso, and iboats for a similar boat before you buy.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Registered

We bought a 35 Donzi from Shogren last year firts we flew up and looked at the boat,. found some minor scratches but the rest was good. Deal went easy and we are happy, the good part is we could probly sell the boat today for what we payed for it.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
A you sure it is a good deal? The reason I ask is because I shopped for over a year for a good deal on a repo boat using the liquidation houses online. My friend got a great deal on a boat 3 years ago that was a repo......however, here is what I found.

Boats are almost always missing the accessories like mooring covers, bimini's, props, batteries, stereos. You will prob never find one with fenders, ropes, coast gaurd equipment. Might not sound like a big deal, but you have to factor that into the price.

The boats I looked at sat outside for at least a few months without covers, interior was filthy.

Good think yours has a trailer, most do not include trailer unless they are cats. I have seen repo sites advertising the boat sitting on the
custom trailer made for it but state in the ad the trailer is not included or available.....wtf are they doing with the trailers?

IMO when I factored all of these things in, plus repairs on some the deals are no longer deals. 5 years ago when go fast boats were selling at a premium there were real deals on repos.

I agree a private seller may have something to hide, however when you look at a used boat it is easy to tell if the owner took good care of
it. Not only the boat, but look at his garage and yard....attention to detail.

Make sure you search boattrader, oso, and iboats for a similar boat before you buy.
The place I bought from fixed everything on the boat and made sure everything was there. It had Bimini, boat cover, trailer, and they give you all your safety equipment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.