Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   HIN does not match builder certificate or USCG, common? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/254367-hin-does-not-match-builder-certificate-uscg-common.html)

ShadBurke 05-24-2011 08:59 PM

HIN does not match builder certificate or USCG, common?

I am looking at a voluntary repo where the HIN doesn't match builder's certificate, USCG or loan documents, how common is this? I would suspect very uncommon as this would indicate a restamp of the HIN. But what's puzzling to me is that the boat/trailer were voluntary repo'ed. Also, trailer VIN doesn't match either to registration, title or loan docs. Motor serial number does match bank documents.

The boat is complete and in new condition. According to the builder, they have no record of the HIN being produced. The area where the HIN is located looks slightly suspect. No indication of a second HIN located in the boat anywhere.

Thoughts/suggestions? Any CSI types out there that can provide some insight.

Thanks

Perlmudder 05-24-2011 09:02 PM

That sounds sketchy at best. I would keep looking, my 2 cents.

MegaByte*3 05-24-2011 09:08 PM

If the HIN does not match the loan docs, how are they going to give you a clear title?

timewarp 05-24-2011 09:40 PM

Sounds like somebody "voluntarily" took the wrong boat and trailer back to the bank. I've heard of lots of the voluntary returns having worng motors and drives but never heard of one done this way. I'd be very leary.

C_Spray 05-24-2011 10:14 PM

Does the rest of the boat match the builder's specifications? Colors, options, other serial numbers? If so, there is a process to correct the HIN through the builder. I went through it with a boat that had the wrong model year suffix.

ShadBurke 05-24-2011 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 3412095)
Does the rest of the boat match the builder's specifications? Colors, options, other serial numbers? If so, there is a process to correct the HIN through the builder. I went through it with a boat that had the wrong model year suffix.

I am checking remaining boat specs with manufacturer now. We may just go down the clerical error affidavit route with the manufacturer to resolve so bank can issue clean title.

I also have someone checking all state registrations to see if either HIN shows up. Also, I was able to locate the service shop that did work on the boat to see if they have any relevant details that might shed some light on this.

For the purchase price, this is one heck of a deal for a nice motor package (at the least).

low_psi 05-24-2011 10:29 PM

My 1985 Baja Force 250 had a non-matching HIN its entire life. I only noticed it when I was ready to sell it to a guy in Canada. The last digit was "g" on the title and was "h" on the hull. Basically back in the 80s, the last digit was a month of build code. I am guessing the original certificate of origin was issued at the end of a month but the boat and hin plate were finished the next month. All I had to was take a pencil tracing of the HIN plate and current title into the Secretary of Stae and apply for a new title. Part of the new title process was a HIN check to make sure all was legit. Not sure yours is this simple.........

cosmic12 05-25-2011 07:04 AM

How can the bank even except it back if the numbers don't match the loan contracts? Something very wrong there.

HOTRODREDNECK 05-25-2011 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by cosmic12 (Post 3412239)
How can the bank even except it back if the numbers don't match the loan contracts? Something very wrong there.

x2

ShadBurke 05-25-2011 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by cosmic12 (Post 3412239)

Indeed, very wrong. The only thing the bank has going for them is that the motor serial # is a match and registration numbers on the vessel are a match to HIN. Otherwise, the repo order doesn't agree with the boat and trailer they took and remains in the bank's (or their agent's) possession.

News from my title co is that the HIN on the boat doesn't show up on any state registration in the US nor in USCG, so the evidence would indicate that the previous owner altered the HIN in an attempt to "avoid" repossession.

Anyone ever had sucess with having a manufacturer reissuing a HIN plate when proof of builder certificate is furnished to the owner of record?

Needless to say the boat manufacturer's old records are non- existent (ownership change and a few key items went missing), so this is one only way to legally resolve issue, as I understand it.

I'm not ready to walk away just yet given how cheap this deal could be had for.

Thanks,

Shad