Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercury 600sci with Mufflers? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/254641-mercury-600sci-mufflers.html)

Fearless010 05-29-2011 08:09 PM

Mercury 600sci with Mufflers?

Anyone running a Mercury 600sci with mufflers? If yes, any issues? Also, what muffler are you using? I prefer to run my engine wide open. Sounds better and goes faster. However, I'm legally bound to install mufflers when running in Canada. Looking to find the most suitable muffler that won't cause any problems with my engine. Thanks

relaxalot 05-29-2011 08:23 PM

I have mufflers on my 600 sci. I would search the boards for 600 sci for information. My motor runs fine but initially had some problems. I think the new ones are working fine now. I think the mufflers are Gibson. The boat is a Howard Sportdeck it was rigged by Howard. Whipple can wake the motor up if you want better performance. Good luck.

Fearless010 05-29-2011 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by relaxalot (Post 3415382)
I have mufflers on my 600 sci. I would search the boards for 600 sci for information. My motor runs fine but initially had some problems. I think the new ones are working fine now. I think the mufflers are Gibson. The boat is a Howard Sportdeck it was rigged by Howard. Whipple can wake the motor up if you want better performance. Good luck.

Thanks Relaxalot, I assume your beginning problems are the standard low water pressure and high air temp. I still struggle with these issues to some degree. My boat came with Corsa mufflers that were removed when the whipple performance enhancements you mentioned were installed. I'm looking to see what everyone else is doing.

Fearless010 05-30-2011 05:59 PM

Mufflers

118 views and only one response. If this means less than 1 % of the boaters on this site have mufflers. Wow, The new laws In many States and Canada sure are going to create a significant revenue oportunity for the governing bodies.

wrinkleface 05-30-2011 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fearless010 (Post 3415775)
118 views and only one response. If this means less than 1 % of the boaters on this site have mufflers. Wow, The new laws In many States and Canada sure are going to create a significant revenue oportunity for the governing bodies.

I have 525's in my NT! Don't know how much dif bet those & the 600's besides the obvious but I have Livorsi E series that were made by Northstar if I remember right! They do an awesome job! Spring loaded & push out at pressure!! good Luck!

Fearless010 05-30-2011 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by wrinkleface (Post 3415782)
I have 525's in my NT! Don't know how much dif bet those & the 600's besides the obvious but I have Livorsi E series that were made by Northstar if I remember right! They do an awesome job! Spring loaded & push out at pressure!! good Luck!

Wrinkleface: Thank you for your input. I started this thread to learn what all the muffler options are and get a general sense of any downside from the many well informed OSO members that enjoy this site. I'm a little disappointed with the skinny response. I guess this subject isn't as racy as missing Fountain 29's. The fearless design doesn't allow me to use the kind of system you have. I have just received a quote today from GGB exhaust for their inline mufflers. They have sent me dyno numbers that suggest minimal power loss in the range of 3 hp while still providing significant noise reduction to satisfy US laws and well, Canada simply wants us to have mufflers.

Shallow Minded 05-30-2011 09:19 PM

My Scarab came with GGB's and I've been very happy with them... they tone it down just enough to keep me legal, but the boat still sounds great. If you can keep them polished up, they actually look good, too. Good luck.

Dean Ferry 05-31-2011 06:44 AM

Is silent choice legal in Canada? I've seen 600sci's with Silent Choice exhaust before...
Dean

mr weazelle 05-31-2011 06:58 AM

http://www.aquapowerltd.com/
I just put a set of these on the OL this weekend. They take the bark out and I didn't loose any RPMs. My marina neighbors love me now!!!

chattviper 05-31-2011 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I use, from CMI.