Notices

Ipads, Androids and GPS

Old 06-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This will be interesting to see what they do on Monday.

http://blogs.forbes.com/briancaulfie...rtner=yahootix
Old 06-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fish finder app?

Depth finder app?

Are there inputs for these type of devices and/or cable converters so they can be a compatable input?

I thinking cheapy GPS out of sight for my Smartcraft GPS speedo, Distance to way point, Time of Day, etc and then an iPad for Chartplotter.

I went from a Garmin 3210 to a 4210 last year, was thinking about trying to fit a 12" screen in the same spot this year but even being smaller, thinking an iPad may be a better option. It sure is the cheaper option by about $4K.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Navionics app is definitely cool. 15 bucks for a chart plotter is hard to beat. Would be nice if it had a speed and direction screen as well, maybe the next version.

Last edited by Skullkrusher; 06-02-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: .
Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Skullkrusher
Navionics app is definitely cool. 15 bucks for a chart plotter is hard to beat. Would be nice if it had a speed and direction screen as well, maybe the next version.
Looks like it's $34.99 for the iPad version......
Old 06-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Banned

Thats how they get you, they dont include everything on it and Garmin is famous for it as well. They sell you system incomplete, then down the road say heres an update by the way it will cost you 200 bucks. Or its not compatable unless you buy the new device.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

Yea, I put it on my droid. $14 and change.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Registered

Quote:
"Thats how they get you, they dont include everything on it and Garmin is famous for it as well. They sell you system incomplete, then down the road say heres an update by the way it will cost you 200 bucks. Or its not compatable unless you buy the new device."

I don't see it that way. It's a damn nice tool for fifteen dollars and seems like a course and speed screen would be easy enough to do that it will be included in next upgrade which is usually free. Even if they don't, someone else will put it out.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
"Thats how they get you, they dont include everything on it and Garmin is famous for it as well. They sell you system incomplete, then down the road say heres an update by the way it will cost you 200 bucks. Or its not compatable unless you buy the new device."

I don't see it that way. It's a damn nice tool for fifteen dollars and seems like a course and speed screen would be easy enough to do that it will be included in next upgrade which is usually free. Even if they don't, someone else will put it out.
it might be a free upgrade, technology is constantly out to improve which is great but I beleive they leave things out on purpose to make more money. Look at the 64bit operating system you cant tell me you cant make it work with 32bit, they dont want to, because they want you to buy new stuff. Thats why i never buy the first version of anything, chances are 6 months down the road they will have either improved it and or made it cheaper.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Registered

I agree on hardware, especially Apple, but on a $15 app it's a chance I'm willing to take.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGirl
The "Very High Quality IPAD 1 case" looks like it would work if it just had a docking port access. Add a lot of velcro and I think we'd have a winner!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.