Can America still do it???? >

Can America still do it????

Notices

Can America still do it????

Old 06-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 207 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Can America still do it????

With just 24 months to go, can the American marine industry still put together the right package to win this race?

On behalf of HORBA, I spoke to Brownie and Bobby Saccenti this morning. We all agree we would like to do one last hurrah before we cross that last finish line. Just to be part of one last exciting and challenging project. Brownie and Harry Schoell with their engineering skills, others with their boat building and rigging skills and others with their racing skills built up over many miles of open ocean racing.

So here is what HORBA is looking for. American made products that can be used in creating a two boat team to participate in this race in 2013. At least one major sponsor who would like their name highlighted in the European press for both the buildup and the race itself.

We are wide open to hull brand (deep Vee only allowed) type of engines (probably outboard or diesel) and drives and props. If you are a manufacturer of anything we could use, contact me through HORBA www.historicraceboats.com

Below is the post from Mike Lloyd who is promoting the race. The race will actually start in Cowes, not London.

It’s Monte Carlo or Bust! England to Monte-Carlo in June of 2013. 2,400 nautical miles off deepwater offshore powerboat racing. This is the longest and toughest offshore powerboat race in the world – bar none. Going through territorial waters of France, Spain, Portugal, British (Gibralter) and then running up through the Mediterranean Spanish and French Rivera’s for 700 miles to Monte Carlo.

This race has only happened once before in the history of powerboat racing – in 1972. So it is time to resurrect this great epic race once more and the team that is doing it is the same as ran the 1,400 mile Round Britain Race in 2008. Headed up by the man who likes to lay down the challenge to powerboat racers, Mike Lloyd and his two cohorts Peter Myles and Alan Goodwin. Mike likes to offer the adventure and the dream and this race provides both.

Open to any powerboat from 26ft to 50ft fitted with diesel or petrol, inboard or outboard 1 to 4 engines with a maximum of 27 litres (Outboards 22 litres) and with petrol power which have to be naturally aspirated – except for outboards. Legs between some of the Venues will be anything from 190 miles to over 300 so long range fuel tanks WILL be needed.

This is a race like no other. One to tell your grandchildren about and certainly one that your mates would never even contemplate, why? because you can’t even imagine how tough this race is for both crew and boat. It's a shredder!! Racing offshore in big seas for up to five hours every day in unknown waters – back to back with a rest day every four legs is only for the brave! Don't forget, Marathon racing in Europe means that when you leave port and until you reach your destination you are ON YOUR OWN and have to be self sufficient if problems occur. When you are 40/50 miles from land you have to be well prepared.

Having said that, such is the interest, within only three weeks 34 Race Teams have “committed” from Greece, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Ireland, Norway and Sweden plus of course many from the U.K. A truly International field but, no Americans - so far!

For more details or information on this epic adventure contact Mike Lloyd at: [email protected] or see the race developing on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/cowesmontecarlo2013 and at www.Boatmad.com -- web site: www.cowestomontecarlo.com

It’s - MONTE-CARLO OR BUST!

Last edited by Top Banana; 06-02-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CanDo
Can America still do what? Race in another country? Yeah, sure. But I'd have to believe that there would be much more of a patriotic spirit, if it happened here. You know...in America!? Sounds like a race for the racers, and not for many others. Just my .02
Nothing more patriotic than watching the achievements of fellow countrymen putting the smack down on other countries in competition.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

2,400 nautical miles - that's a man's race, no doubt. Sound crazy? Hell yes...but if more people start doing crazy chit like that, maybe someone will notice and this sport will get the notoriety it deserves.

Mabe we can lay a smack down. But don't sell the Brits short -- they race 'Round Britian and Ireland a lot - and those waters are a b*tch. (We all know what happened to the Spanish Armada) It would be great to see a US team head over there and get the job done. I hope HORBA and Charlie can get it all together and pull it off. Best of Luck!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I Elect Lee Murry To throttle a 38 Donzi in this event. Remember the Whoopin He put on everybody in Biloxi when it was rough as H*LL .....

Now, The rest of you guys make it happen
Old 06-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do a boat like Bobthebuilder's but with more powerful diesels, say triple Isotta Frascini 650s or 750s...
Old 06-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2400 NM? That's just an average weekend for Bob.
Give him a real challenge....
Old 06-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CanDo
Can America still do what? Race in another country? Yeah, sure. But I'd have to believe that there would be much more of a patriotic spirit, if it happened here. You know...in America!? Sounds like a race for the racers, and not for many others. Just my .02
In case you haven't heard, there is no offshore racing in America. They only go around in little circles.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
In case you haven't heard, there is no offshore racing in America. They only go around in little circles.
Smokey.....Then there is the Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island race, where we go around in a big circle of 271 miles. Sept 24th, come on up this year and see the open ocean racers.

Bob the builder was going to race with Bobby Saccenti and me, in the Around Ireland race last year, funding fell through in the end, but he was all game to go.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered

I understand there are 42 teams registered as of today. They have capped the field at 50 teams, so we Americans need to get moving....Sponsors contact me.

The Current 40 Race Teams who have paid their deposits and are entered into the 2013 Cowes to Monte-Carlo Grand Prix.

Andy Wilby
Bob Turnball
Constantine Pitsos
Construction Racing/Marcus Bradshaw
Donzi Racing/Daniel Cramphorn
Dean Gibbs
Drew Langdon
Francis Whitely
Glen Chidzoy
Gordon Compton
Henry Hector Racing
Henry Hector Racing
Henry Hector Racing
Hunton Powerboats
Jamie Edwards
John Guille
Justin McInerny
Kurt Egil Jensen
Markus Hendricks
Mat Humphrey
Michael Silverberg
Michal Galczewski
Mikko Oikari
Nick Gilley
Ocean Dragon Racing (Martin Lai)
Ole Finholt
Phil Payter
Renegade Ribs
Richard Carr
Rob Gray
Robin Hyde (Boss)
Stig Olssøn - Goldfish
Sunseeker International
Sunseeker International
Svetland Korneeva
Thomas Van-Damme
Tom Montgomery-Swan
Vassilis Patteras
Vee Ganjavin
Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Smokey.....Then there is the Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island race, where we go around in a big circle of 271 miles. Sept 24th, come on up this year and see the open ocean racers.

Bob the builder was going to race with Bobby Saccenti and me, in the Around Ireland race last year, funding fell through in the end, but he was all game to go.
I know. Just busting chops. I wish I had the means to race again. If I did, the real OFFSHORE races is where you would find me,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.