Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
law suit against Donzi/Merc >

law suit against Donzi/Merc

Notices

law suit against Donzi/Merc

Old 05-31-2002, 04:59 PM
roadtrip

Default And now for the rest of the story...

I was at the Donzi event where the aforementioned 22ZX spun out.

We all know that step hull boats can spin out in turns, if proper measures are not taken. Hardly an APBA or SBI race goes by without a few examples of this tendency. Solve the problem, get the drive to at least neutral and slow down.

This spin out occurred under extreme conditions for a photo opportunity. Came in too hot, drive too low, and the turn too radical. Presto, we have a spin out. I even heard these turns referred to as "power turns" (RICK!!!!!!!!!) by those who executed this manuever many times over the weekend.

After cleaning up their respective shorts from this incident, I don't believe the owner of this boat has ever tried a "power turn" again. At least that is what he has told me recently.

After reviewing this board after the Memorial Day weekend, it is pretty obvious to me that high performance boating is inherently dangerous, but also one hell of a lot of fun and one must accept the risks and responsibilities that come with operating these toys!

Todd

Last edited by roadtrip; 05-31-2002 at 05:04 PM.

Old 05-31-2002, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hear, hear Roadtrip!!!

I agree completely! Even though I spun my 22ZX I loved the boat. It was just something about the boat that I had to learn and be aware of.

One of the reasons all of us like fast boats is the adrenaline. The potential for disaster is part of the reason for the adrenaline. Always pushing the edge you know.

Heck, if my Donzi was so scary in the turns, why would I sell it to get a cat that likes to LEAN OUT in the turns if you don't know what you're doing. Finally after about 15 hours on the boat I'm getting the feel for turning this boat.

They're all fun and all potentially lethal! It's our responsibility to know when one becomes the other!
Old 05-31-2002, 08:37 PM
AttitudeAdjusta

I belive SonicDude has it right.

Old 05-31-2002, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As all of you are aware, any boat can be driven past it's design limits. Hell, I flipped a Boston Whaler 3 seperate times, barrel rolled it once.. Not the boat's fault in any of these events.

We all know what causes any stepped hull to spin, and they all will when pushed past their limits. Even race drivers, pro's that you all are, spin them. Put a rookie drive in one, and trouble is just around the corner. I would be curious to see how many people who say they have spun out their boats, no matter who the manufacturer is, had any serious seat time in stepped hulls before the incident..??

Scott B

Did I really say "just around the corner"? bad pun, bad bad pun.Back in your corner you..

Last edited by Scott B; 05-31-2002 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:56 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

Funny, PURPLEMOON (his name is James E Tomaselli) has not replied to his initial thread. I guess he is just fishing for info.

People kill people and people kill themselves...
Cars, boats, guns, drugs....
Cars no seat belt, boats no PFD/Lanyard... Guns, oops, it was loaded.... wow, goood pot (it was really a crack pipe!)
My 10 cents....
Bryan

Last edited by Bryan Tuvell; 05-31-2002 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:05 PM
AttitudeAdjusta

Bryon : Do you know something we don't? Please share, I was kind of interested in the Donzi 38'

Old 05-31-2002, 11:16 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

All I know is I love my Donzi's...
Owned two about to buy a third...

Happy safe boating to all.
Bryan

Last edited by Bryan Tuvell; 06-01-2002 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:25 PM
AttitudeAdjusta

Bryon what are you buying next? My next is 42 OL or 45 sonic with big power if the I.R.S. doesn't sink me first

Old 05-31-2002, 11:33 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

Not sure what we are buying next after the 26ZX, except it will be a Donzi ZX.
Bryan

Last edited by Bryan Tuvell; 06-01-2002 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:49 PM
RickS

Purplemoon,
Can you give us some specifics on the problems you've had with your 22ZX? What engine do you have, BBC, SBC? Donzi will help you but they usually prefer that you go through a dealer for newer boats. If your purchasing dealer won't help then find another one. Looks like you live in Florida, if your having handling problems you can probably get some help from the factory. In the past they have given driving lessons or tips on specific boats. A good dealer can help you accomplish this. Sounds like some of your problems may be related to your dealer being unwilling to help. The 22ZX is an awesome boat but due to it's size and power it can be tricky to drive.

Give us more info.