Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   need help..how do I get a IP address (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/255253-need-help-how-do-i-get-ip-address.html)

Jassman 06-06-2011 02:51 PM

need help..how do I get a IP address

guys Im having some problems with somebody duplicating a face book page, and grossly distorting it, pictures, facts, and replacing good words with "F", and mentioning stuff that should not be on there..how do I get this IP address of this person..and get them turned in.

Thanks Jeff

Sea-Dated 06-06-2011 02:52 PM

Probably have to talk to FaceBook

fountain4play 06-06-2011 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sea-Dated (Post 3421808)

+1

I would think you could contact Facebook and thier administrators should be able to track down the person's IP address causing the problems.

CigDaze 06-06-2011 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 3421803)
guys Im having some problems with somebody duplicating a face book page, and grossly distorting it, pictures, facts, and replacing good words with "F", and mentioning stuff that should not be on there..how do I get this IP address of this person..and get them turned in.

Thanks Jeff

Just report it. FB will have it gone in less than a day usually.

Jassman 06-06-2011 03:50 PM

Thank you everyone for your help, unfortunately on the site it states there is no "live" support. We have already reported this and it was removed two days ago but today the same person has made an identical page again...
Thanks Sandy
(Jeff's wife)

FuelinAround 06-06-2011 04:03 PM

facebook should be able to look at there server and see every IP address that connect to your account. If it's someone thats good at it you will spend forever chasing rerouted IP's.

BDiggity 06-06-2011 04:36 PM

Depending on the severity, could turn it over to the authorities. They could then issue subpoena to FB for the IP, along with the actual IP owner.

If you go straight to FB & they give you the IP, you still then have to track down the owning ISP for the records of who that IP was reserved to during the time period. Assuming they werent using proxy services etc.

Waterdogs 06-06-2011 04:58 PM

Is your IP static? Most IP's are not static, but are assigned by your providers DHCP server when you login. A static IP is assigned to you and it will not change. An IP assigned through a DHCP server can change depending on IP availability when you login. I seriously doubt if anyone has your IP. Then again, I retired from IT back in 2004, so things may have changed. I would change my password to something never used before and don't save it to your computer when logging in. Is there any remote access software loaded on your system? You may have someone logging remotely into your system and taking control.

Jassman 06-06-2011 05:27 PM

just found out that they started a new page...they copied everything off my daughters page, distorted her pic's{she a photographer and wants to work in the industry..cars, boats, homes) changed what she typed up and used fowl language. its not good for her business, and we have reported it again..it just will get taken down, and get put back up again.. thanks Jeff

FuelinAround 06-06-2011 05:28 PM

If they continue to be getting your passwords I would be worried about a keylogger. Really hope you get this stuff worked out jeff

Waterdogs 06-06-2011 05:44 PM

Try and isolate the problem. Start by shutting off the PC you are currently accessing the site with for a day or so, the same with your daughter if she has a system. If the site continues to update, then you know it's not your local system. If it stops, you may have isolated it.

FullAuto9 06-06-2011 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by FuelinAround (Post 3421969)
If they continue to be getting your passwords I would be worried about a keylogger. Really hope you get this stuff worked out jeff

I don't think the accounts are getting hacked, just a counterfeit "spoof" page. It sounds like a former employee or boyfriend. I had the same kind of problem with a business competitor, we fought fire with fire and gave it back to him ten times over. He knocked it off real quick!

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-06-2011 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sea-Dated (Post 3421808)

Good luck with that ! :(

I had two pages that I have lost access to and they both state that I am the Adminstrator but yet after a number of emails to them claiming I am the rightful owner and created these pages but can no longer access them.

Several months later I finally get a response stating I did not submit enough information to them to justify I am the rightful owner.

I can't even get the pages DELETED... One of the things that I cannot tolerate about FB..... :angry-smiley-055:

anewway 06-07-2011 01:59 PM

I hate to say it, but you will have to fight this through FB.

The jerks' PC opens a web session to FB, so there's no way for you to get in the loop so to speak. FB can tell what the IP address is, but you won't be able to find it out on your own. And even if you get it, it will probably point to an ISP or coffe house or some other public address, not the actual address of the individual.

You are more likely to find out who it is but looking very closely at who her friends are. If she has her page locked down so only friends can see it, then it would have to be one of those "friends". If the page is open to anyone to view, well then it could be anyone.

And as was mentioned earlier, most IP addresses are assigned via a DHCP server, and in fact, most IP addresses on laptops and PSc are what are considered private addresses, which means they aren't seen on the internet. For example, my laptop has a private IP address of 10.68.226.120, but that address will never be seen on the internet. It is assigned to me by my corporate DHCP server. The IP address that is presented to the world is actually a different, public address.

Some neat and semi complicated steps occur at the router level that translate messages intended for my laptop from the public address of my company to the private address on my laptop.

Which is probably more than you wanted to know, but basically it boils down to you will need FB to get involved to help.

But, first thing I would do is lock down the page so only her friends can see it, that will narrow your pool of people who could be involved.