Notices

Cost to wax boat?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have a full cover, always have. Last time I had it proffesionally done was in 2007 and the shine was amazing but at that time it did not cost me for that wax & buff job.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Registered

I just did my 25' Checkmate. I had 20 hours into it. I was going to have someone do it but they wanted $25 a foot. I thought that was very high. So I went and bought myself a buffer the compound, polish, and wax and did it myself. After you use the compound you will want to use a polish. The polish is absorbed into the gel and then the wax which is a top coat and protects. I did 2 coats of wax. Mine was very chalky and dull before but after some elbow grease she shined up nice
Old 06-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I get $28 a foot for performance boats and $35 a foot for cruisers. Done right it is an involved labor intensive process. A good pro job should include removing all the snaps and anything else that can come off without to much trouble. And, like LaVita said, its a three step process compound-polish-wax. Get references from anyone you use and dont bother with two hundred yard kids. Their great for a quick clean and shine but will not have the knowledge or equipment to maximize the finish on your boat. You should be in the $1000 to $1500 range
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-07-2011, 11:24 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
Not to dig you, i dont know the circumstances. But it amazes me how people dont take care of things for years. I see it up on the thousand islands. Expensive boats tied up in marinas faded to hell scratched up etc. I dont get it

Fountain4402 no offense taken and I get that and I see the same. I promise you that if you saw the condition of my boat you would wonder why I am even concerned about having it professionally buffed as it does not look bad to the average person. But as annual as I am about the maintenance & condition of my big boy toys I do have a higher expectation of how they are kept. Drives my wife crazy
Old 06-07-2011, 01:00 PM
DriverofDonzi
Gold Member

If I do it for you...I charge you $550-$750

Chris
Old 06-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Registered

I missed using an OR on my PQ one season and I paid the price dearly. I had to wet sand my entire boat, took me 32hrs (2 weekends) and some major tired hands and arms. Do your due diligence and you won't have shell out $1k or more. I do mine twice a year, before and after the season begins and it looked great for a 12yr old boat. It's simple, pay now or pay later.