Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cut off by one of our own - stay alert... >

Cut off by one of our own - stay alert...

Notices

Cut off by one of our own - stay alert...

Old 06-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
People should stay on the right hand side of the water...
Not only should they, but they must!

RULE 9: NARROW CHANNELS
(a) (i) [Inld] A vessel proceeding along the course of a narrow channel or fairway shall keep as near to the outer limit of the channel or fairway which lies on her starboard side as is safe and practicable.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by HotSpare
There are old pilots and there bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots ...... We've heard that for ever and it's true ....... Always clear your turns .......
Yup.
ed
Old 06-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, folks driving cars shouldn't change lanes without looking either but it happens. If their rear quarter panel hits your front fender, you are not at fault. If your front end hits their back end, cops would say you should have slowed/stopped.

Doesn't matter to me what the guy in front does, I'm expecting it and will react if I am close. What if you were in front and saw a mostly submerged log about 20' long large enough to tear both drives off the boat that if you swerved you might miss cause you don't have time to stop? Do you maintain course because someone is comming up on you or do you swerve?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
Thats the problem with boating, there is rules but its not like a road where you have lines and such. People should stay on the right hand side of the water which they dont have of th time, and if I got to pass I always try to do it on their left, chances of them cutting left into oncoming traffic is left and I always try to have a lot of distance and kind of pull up so they see me first before i go by
Not really any reasoning why, but it seems like everytime I turn a vessel around to go the other direction, it's always a left turn.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 88Fount33
...Doesn't matter to me what the guy in front does, I'm expecting it and will react if I am close...
I guess that's really the key point that I'm trying to make here. I am not sure that everything that I did was correct or the best thing, BUT: as I got closer and closer, I made it a point to pay more and more attention, and be prepared for a move on his part. In retrospect, knowing that he had never turned to look in the several minutes we were closing on him, I suppose that I should have left more room side-to-side, but even that may have resulted in him t-boning ME...

I will try the horn in the future, just in case. Hopefully, it won't come across as me being a d!ckhead as it would on land.

Regarding the jetski analogy, consider this: If you come up directly behind a jetski, and he makes a (typical) sudden turn, the result is he moves away from your path no matter what. On the other hand, once you get close enough that you may begin to endager him if he stops or falls, you have to make some kind of choice and begin bearing away in order to make your pass. No simple solutions.

I appreciate Blue Thunders' remarks. I do get some grief from time to time for being "Sammy Safety" (Heck, I even have a MMSI VHF and a rear view mirror on my boat...), so incidents like this get me wondering about whether or not I am really always at my best when I'm behind the wheel.

Like I said earlier, I dont begrudge the other driver. It was the end of a nice weekend, and all of us go-fast types rarely expect to be overtaken. Lord know that I've made some bad decisions over the years.

All we can do is keep our heads screwed on straight and look out for each other. I appreciate the comments on how I might have made the situation safer, and will keep those in mind in the future. Good conversation.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
I guess that's really the key point that I'm trying to make here. I am not sure that everything that I did was correct or the best thing, BUT: as I got closer and closer, I made it a point to pay more and more attention, and be prepared for a move on his part. In retrospect, knowing that he had never turned to look in the several minutes we were closing on him, I suppose that I should have left more room side-to-side, but even that may have resulted in him t-boning ME...

I will try the horn in the future, just in case. Hopefully, it won't come across as me being a d!ckhead as it would on land.

Regarding the jetski analogy, consider this: If you come up directly behind a jetski, and he makes a (typical) sudden turn, the result is he moves away from your path no matter what. On the other hand, once you get close enough that you may begin to endager him if he stops or falls, you have to make some kind of choice and begin bearing away in order to make your pass. No simple solutions.
Many people are reluctant to use the horn, because so many don't understand what the blasts mean.

I underlined what I did because I'm always over cautious on this one. I don't ever let myself get "Closer and Closer", especially if it makes me start thinking about my next move If I need to. I think it's just inviting trouble that doesn't need to be there. In situations like the one you described, I'd generally slow to his speed or less.

For the jetski? I would never come up directly behind one, nor would I get anywhere close to them on the side to pass. Most jetskis are very unpredictable from a boater's standpoint, since they can turn on a rail at a moment's notice. I don't think your problem was leaving more room side-to-side, although that might have helped him to see you in peripheral vision. I think the problem develops when you keep closing on a boat more or less directly in front of you. IMO, it greatly increases the risks.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray

I appreciate Blue Thunders' remarks. I do get some grief from time to time for being "Sammy Safety" (Heck, I even have a MMSI VHF and a rear view mirror on my boat...), so incidents like this get me wondering about whether or not I am really always at my best when I'm behind the wheel.

Like I said earlier, I dont begrudge the other driver. It was the end of a nice weekend, and all of us go-fast types rarely expect to be overtaken. Lord know that I've made some bad decisions over the years.

All we can do is keep our heads screwed on straight and look out for each other. I appreciate the comments on how I might have made the situation safer, and will keep those in mind in the future. Good conversation.
Well said, in reality you made the right choices, because no impact was made, and no one was injured. Drive defensive period. An open mind kept you and the fellow in the fountain out of harm, seems to me your humility on the spot kept that situation from getting out of control. Right or wrong, understanding the "grey area" of the laws, gave you the ability to accept what had to be done and do it. Since all of our laws are open to interpretation, there is never a 100% right answer of who was right untill their day in court and even then things just dont seem 100% fair, avoiding the court room, the hospital, the ticket, or the law suit, is always the 100% right answer in my book.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VtSteve
I don't ever let myself get "Closer and Closer", especially if it makes me start thinking about my next move If I need to. I think it's just inviting trouble that doesn't need to be there. In situations like the one you described, I'd generally slow to his speed or less.

For the jetski? I would never come up directly behind one, nor would I get anywhere close to them on the side to pass. Most jetskis are very unpredictable from a boater's standpoint, since they can turn on a rail at a moment's notice. I don't think your problem was leaving more room side-to-side, although that might have helped him to see you in peripheral vision. I think the problem develops when you keep closing on a boat more or less directly in front of you. IMO, it greatly increases the risks.
+1

When "accident situation avoidance" is practiced, "accident avoidance" becomes less necessary.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND
I lay on the horn when passing jet skis It helps a little?I have a car with a blind spot bought 1 of those huge rear view mirrorsVery hard to aviod a guy who takes a turn in front of you unless racing I back off nowA lot of real fast boats with little seat time on crowded weekendIt's getting like a motorcycle stay as far away from other vehicles as possible keep your finger on the horn be safe!

What kind of horn do you have that a person/boat in front of you with transom exhaust,wind blowing in his ears can hear ya honk it?

I know my Hustler and Scarab horns you can barley hear over my own exhaust

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Problem solved. I just bought a new horn.
Attached Thumbnails Cut off by one of our own - stay alert...-flaregun.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.