Notices

Too Fast ?????

Old 05-29-2002, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Too Fast ?????

In light of recent weekend events, I was wondering what people's thoughts were regarding the speed capabilities of new boats:

* Are they getting too fast ??
* What is the manufacturers duty to train, if any ??
* Would formal training/ licensing help ??
* Inland safety vs ocean safety & speed.......

Just thinking..............
Old 05-29-2002, 02:26 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

A couple of months ago Hot Boat did an editorial asking the same questions that you have...
Old 05-29-2002, 02:40 PM
Registered

I belive it's all personal choice. I was out yesterday in a friends 32 cat in glasslike conditions and we were doing 100+ and there were no concerns other than windburn, now change the wave conditions and I lose that comfort zone, especially in light of the recent events, and be Damn sure we had lifeline jackets on. Now in my 32 v-hull it would be tough to do anything to put anyone in danger at the 80mph range it travels at, unless you were being stupid in wave conditions not suited for speed. I think it all comes down to common sense. Manufacturers shouldn't have anything to do with someones personal choice to go too fast for conditions.

Sports cars come to mind, yeah they can do 150+, but do you drive around like that every time you get in them, no, it's a pick and choose the time, and accept the risks as well. Not make the manufacturer put an electronic speed control for the speed limit of 70 mph around here.
Old 05-29-2002, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Common cents

Id say you could hurt yourself in just about anything!!!
Old 05-29-2002, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

YOU TELL EM , TOO OLD !
Old 05-29-2002, 04:43 PM
Registered

R/T...My opinion is that stupid people are everywhere.

Stupid people cannot be controlled regardless of the training or regulations that are around them or available to them.

With that being said, it would be nice for some kind of training to be made available for boat purchasers. If it saves one life it would be worth it.

But, on the reverse side, even the most skilled and experienced people out there can meet an unfortunate situation. Sometimes, there is simply nothing one can do.

There also should be a responsibility by the manufacturers to build a safe vessel. Faster sells. The problem with faster is, what is given up in order to attain faster...higher X, steeper steps to get more hull out of the water, etc. These things can create speed, but be detrimental to control, especially when piloted by someone who either doesn't respect the craft's abilities, doesn't know the limitations or is impaired with the dreaded "beer muscles." A full out race boat has no business being in the hands of John Q. Public, unless they have had some kind of training.
Old 05-29-2002, 04:44 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sure I'll catch heck for this,,, but I think Panteras picture looks like that could have been fun time !!!!
Old 05-29-2002, 05:20 PM
Uncle Toys

Right on Too Old!

Old 05-29-2002, 05:33 PM
Registered

Hey Too Old...for the most part I agree with you.

However...

Ford and Chevy do not teach drivers...but that is not on the same spectrum as a supercar. The first time I drove a Ferrari (1988 Testarossa) I had no clue what I was doing. We were on a track for a Ferrari Club meeting and I entered a turn hard and should have down shifted and powered through it. Instead, I did what I would do in any "normal" situation. I tried to slow down by using the brake. Bad move...I was lucky enough to avoid hitting the guardrail (or anything else), but I think I got permanent hearing damage from the owners screams coming from the passenger side. At that point I had wished that I had recieved some kind of rudimentary instruction.

From that standpoint, I think it is an apples to apples comparison with HP boats compared to "normal" boats.

Wellcraft had their "Offshore Boot Camp" (I don't know if they still do or not) and it was a great idea. I also heard from a couple that went through it that it was alot of fun.

I don't think it is necessary, but when you are talking about HP boating, I think that the manufacterers should give boat buyers the OPTION of taking such a course. Just my opinion though!

Old 05-29-2002, 08:35 PM
Registered

An incentive could come from the financial loosers in most accidents...........the insurance companies. Offering a worthwhile discount on insurance if a qualified "program or course" is completed.

Quick Reply: Too Fast ?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.