Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat slams into Burns Harbor breakwall >

Boat slams into Burns Harbor breakwall

Notices

Boat slams into Burns Harbor breakwall

Old 06-10-2011, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Its sad that alot of fellow boaters on here don't know the details but are quick to bash when something like this happens.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by specialk
the problem at night on lake michigan is that you focus on the lights on shore and aim for your destination. before you know it, there is a buoy,break wall or other obstructions you end up on top of. i have not personally had any mishaps but can easily understand how it happens. during the day you look at it asking what kind of idiot can run into that, night time is a whole different story.
Yep.

Combine with boating inexperience and/or no knowledge of your surroundings at night = TROUBLE.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Indiana has a speed limit after dark.

IC 14-15-3-8
Night speed limit
Sec. 8. Subject to section 9 of this chapter, a person may not operate a boat during the period between sunset and sunrise at a speed greater than ten (10) miles per hour.

New boater probably did not know or take a class

Mark
Old 06-10-2011, 05:44 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing safe or legal is happening at 3:45 am. Just like you never went to an ATM machine at 3 AM for a "good" reason... LOL
Old 06-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DollaBill
Nothing safe or legal is happening at 3:45 am. Just like you never went to an ATM machine at 3 AM for a "good" reason... LOL
Ya never know If your buddy was rideing in a Cig stuffed/spun out,all of the above and was being towed back in riding on the bottom V.If it was late and was far out it would take awhile to be towed back in and could be in the AM,They may had a reason/excuse Ya never know

if the lady of the night want take a debit card,Youll wish a atm was closeHey whats the most ya can get out of a ATM?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Registered

Its not just the big lakes that are dangerous, I've been boating for 20 yrs and just bought a 38 ft cruiser and was bringing it from west palm bch fl to clear water fl and ran out of daylight, i thought well i'll go easy and keep going, then it started to rain and get rough . I couldn't see chit, got disoriented and headed for lights on the shore. It turned out to be a freakin black cargo ship all lit up, very scary and i felt like i didn't know crap about boating. best to get familiar with your new rig before a night ride.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Give the guy a break....from the picture he DID still have his starboard bumpers on...he was ready for impact
Old 06-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drock78
Its sad that alot of fellow boaters on here don't know the details but are quick to bash when something like this happens.
I don't think people are trying to bash. Just letting others know that ya need to know exactly where your at at night......and keep the speeds down. It's all to easy to make mistakes at night.

Darrell.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
Give the guy a break....from the picture he DID still have his starboard bumpers on...he was ready for impact
the boats a wreck but his trailer will get your boat to the water without incident
Old 06-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fountainfan42
the boats a wreck but his trailer will get your boat to the water without incident
Lol burn! Maybe he will lease it to me until my new manning is done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.