Boat slams into Burns Harbor breakwall

Notices

Boat slams into Burns Harbor breakwall

Old 06-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Missed the point

Originally Posted by fountainfan42
So your saying its the breakwalls fault ????
or the easier solution is get off the lake before sunset if your not familiar with it ...DUH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we've come across the lake at wee hours of the morning but some common sense and some respect for the lake goes along way .
Yeah it was the breakwalls fault as it jumped out in front of him. I was commenting on the danger of the area for those not familar with it. This is not the first time and will not be the last time this has happened. It seems pretty stupid that there are breakwalls miles offshore that are not marked. Common sense and respect will do nothing for you if it is pitch black out on the lake and you are crossing in the wee hours of the morning. You are just asking for trouble boating at night.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They said speeding,It couldnt of been going very fast.I guess any speed above idle at night if you cant see.

Ya never know why they were out that late?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor
Now punch in Navy Pier Chicago and look at the breakwalls that are unmarked. usually 2 to 3 boats per year hit it at night.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the problem at night on lake michigan is that you focus on the lights on shore and aim for your destination. before you know it, there is a buoy,break wall or other obstructions you end up on top of. i have not personally had any mishaps but can easily understand how it happens. during the day you look at it asking what kind of idiot can run into that, night time is a whole different story.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Its been pretty hazy over here with the warm temps and cold water. Its been pretty difficult to see very well during the day time. Still not an excuse
Old 06-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

3 died on Lake Erie here this past Sunday, same type of thing -- stand alone break wall 1500 ft from shore 2 small blinking lights one on either end. One light is green and the other is yellow -- which blends in with the parking lot lights behind it on the mainland.
Its not the best situation and is very hazardous, i also don't believe that inexperienced boaters should be out at night until they get famaliar.
There have been 5 fatalities on this stone breakwall in the last 10 years, and there have been a few very lucky ones.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:01 PM
jfm
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope that he gets better. That being said, it really does pay to research an area before you just launch and go. How many damn web sites are there with people willing to help out and give advice?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very sad situation. Inexperience and night do not go well together . If you are heading out at night, you need to have a chart, and know how to read it. A good GPS and radar is a big plus as well. And.... most importantly, slow down.

Darrell.

Last edited by DMOORE; 06-09-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was also raining thoughout the night.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Enough 4 Play
Now punch in Navy Pier Chicago and look at the breakwalls that are unmarked. usually 2 to 3 boats per year hit it at night.

I know....used to boat there. Running back to Wilmette one night almost hit a very large metal buoy completely unmarked and a few miles offshore. No light...nothing. I was doing about 35mph. Missed it by about 5'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.