Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Oil Filter stuck Tried Everything! >

Oil Filter stuck Tried Everything!

Notices

Oil Filter stuck Tried Everything!

Old 06-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter stuck Tried Everything!

I'm trying to get off a quicksilver oil filter off on my 525. I tried filter wrench, then filter wrench with sand paper for grip, that's when the wrench broke. Then I went to the screw driver route, all that did was rip the sides of the filter. I don't get it, this was put on by a pretty reputable place in So. Cal, WTF???

Any suggestions?
Old 06-12-2011, 06:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

When you do get it off be sure the gasket comes with it. I learned the hard way.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

i usually use a strap type wrench for tough ones, to late for that if you've taken a screwdriver to it. Its funny though i have had trouble with overly tight filters that took huge torque to remove but i was the one that put them on and i never use anything but a clean dry towel for a final snug. Must be something with the seal after it goes through a few thermal cycles.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Registered

Mine was the same way last winter. I ended up making a "tool" because the canister was torn apart. Took a piece of wood and using the new one as a template, put two bolts through the wood that would go into the openings on the screw-on part. Got what was left of it off easily. My bilge is still a mess though.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
i usually use a strap type wrench for tough ones, to late for that if you've taken a screwdriver to it. Its funny though i have had trouble with overly tight filters that took huge torque to remove but i was the one that put them on and i never use anything but a clean dry towel for a final snug. Must be something with the seal after it goes through a few thermal cycles.
Tried the strap wrench, it just crushed the can, that's when I went to the screw driver. This blows!!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Registered

Is there any way to use a bigger handle on the screw driver, put a steel tube on the handle and that would increase your tork. And just get a good turn on it maybe
Old 06-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Epoxy?

Originally Posted by glassdave
Dave - Could it have been the epoxy dripping from your fingers that got on the seal? LOL Just kidding. Speaking of epoxy, shoot me your e-mail address when you get a chance, I have some progress pictures of the 28SS to send you.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 06-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 767 Likes on 350 Posts

I tore up a couple last year a couple hours before I was supposed to leave for JOTJ.

I ended up using a screwdriver all the way through as close to the front of the filter as possible - I had to put a breaker bar on it to get it loose. It was a MESS, and I SWORE I was going to skip the run and sell the boat....
Old 06-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I am very good with an air chisel, but I had one stuck on a truck once.I cut everything off you will just have the base plate left.There will be holes in it insert a small air chisel in one at an angle and walk it off.There is not a lot of margin for error but if your careful it should work.I don't know what it is with boat filters but I hardly tighten them at all and they are always tight when it comes time to change.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Registered

I struggle with mine too. This year I got to use the gigantic channel-locks on em (what fun !!!). I had to squeeze the bejesus outta the canisters. So are we putting them on too tight ? I also use a clean, dry towel...then just hand power to install. I think it says on the box to go 1/4 turn past initial gasket contact. I was always leary of that, so I turned em a bit more (probably too much). Are we all tightening them too far ?
Attached Thumbnails Oil Filter stuck Tried Everything!-boat-motors-2.jpg  

Last edited by tinman565; 06-12-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.