Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why isn't there any off shore boating in the mediterranian? >

Why isn't there any off shore boating in the mediterranian?

Notices

Why isn't there any off shore boating in the mediterranian?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Malta is another hot spot for offshore racing...the Grand Prix of the Sea was held there just last week...
Old 06-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oufsjB1WFAE

v
Great video!!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

When I was on my honeymoon, we took a private charter 40' Magnum like cruiser from Naples to Capri and cruised to several other ports. The marina we left from had 2 Fabio Buzzi 38 footers, a Cigarette and a couple other true go-fasts (can't remember which brands exactly). I also saw many 40-60 ft. Magnum and Baia type fast cruisers around.

Last edited by Tom A.; 06-20-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FullAuto9
No middle class, your either really rich or dirt poor.
Totally opposite...
Old 07-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MidOcean
The Med is a huge offshore market... and its starting to spill over to the north towards the Black Sea... they are also in love with offshore. Varna, Bulgaria has an active Cigarette Dealer who also handles Formula.

Guess you weren't looking in the right spots.
You forgot the Balearic Islands where 70-80% of all the white stuff and some green too came with powerboats to Europe from North Africa...
Especially Ibiza.. Being there 1989 sure turned my interest on powerboats permanently.

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 07-04-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Totally opposite...
Ahh c'mon. We do have really rich people here in scandinavia. Maersk comes to mind The poor we just don't talk about.

European and scandinavian gas prices are just a bit high, wouldn't you say? That has an impact too. When looking at the meds and norther europe, big blow boats, cruisers and yachts is the thing to do. Heck, many europeans think Bayliners are nice well build fast boats so culture and experience is part of it too.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Registered

i was in Ischia yesterday - saw 2 Magnums - a 44 and an 80. Also saw 2 Cigarette Cafe Racers in the same place. One was named 35X.

I was in Naples 3 days ago and saw a 41 Apache with 4 E-Tecs on the back.

Will be in St Tropez in a couple of days and that is where you will find the majority of the offshore boats. Always at least 5-6 Cigarettes and I beleive last time I was there Tsumami was also there...

Certainly not like the US, but they do exist...

One thing I've noticed in the 5 years that I've been coming here is that there are a lot of boats that look like Magnums(but aren't)...especially in Italy...just not a lot of true hard-core offshore boats.

And btw, I don't think money has anything to do with it...there are a lot of boats here...and a lot of NICE boats...the Italians and French just have different taste in boats.

Last edited by Sean; 07-04-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Ahh c'mon. We do have really rich people here in scandinavia. Maersk comes to mind The poor we just don't talk about.
Well there's a few alright... the list would be mind boggling.. but they keep low key about their posessions and spread out.. just like you don' t see any Rockenfellers on any rich lists anymore either...
I'm one of the poor... and still compared to the regular US I'm rich in the wages I make and toys I got, I call myself the lower middle class globally aka blue collar.

European and scandinavian gas prices are just a bit high, wouldn't you say? That has an impact too. When looking at the meds and norther europe, big blow boats, cruisers and yachts is the thing to do. Heck, many europeans think Bayliners are nice well build fast boats so culture and experience is part of it too.
Well the race gas in Sarasota is less than our regular pump... the regular pump in US is half of our pumps.
Therefore a lot of those I know turn into big "fast" daycruisers at 50 feet or so with diesels as the operating costs are less with them than fast 30-50ft powerboats with gas engines. Seldom you see any smaller powerboats but they are to be found. It's not that powerboats are everywhere in the States either.
None of my friends mentions Bayliners and fast in the same sentance... if they do I correct them FAST.

Regarding blow boats.. those that have them here and race at least have also fast powerboats. I should know I'm a hired skipper sometimes on them blowboats in races. I'm just a bilge rat

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 07-04-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean
i was in Ischia yesterday - saw 2 Magnums - a 44 and an 80. Also saw 2 Cigarette Cafe Racers in the same place. One was named 35X.

Will be in St Tropez in a couple of days and that is where you will find the majority of the offshore boats. Always at least 5-6 Cigarettes and I beleive last time I was there Tsumami was also there...

One thing I've noticed in the 5 years that I've been coming here is that there are a lot of boats that look like Magnums(but aren't)...especially in Italy...just not a lot of true hard-core offshore boats.

And btw, I don't think money has anything to do with it...there are a lot of boats here...and a lot of NICE boats...the Italians and French just have different taste in boats.
Well Don Aronow had a similar taste with the big fast cruisers he made.. Ben Kramer did big Cruisers too....
All the US makers do when the customer is there...
A guy I know ordered a 50ft splash of something from Thunderboat row a few years ago, got so pissed in the process that he installed a V12 Russian centrifugal and turbocharged tank diesel engine from a T-72 in there...just because the build took so long and had to be taken to court to get the boat.

The Daycruisers here are a lot like the Scarab Meteors big Magnums etc.. with the long engine compartments acting as a sun deck. The ride is not about topspeed but fast cruise and comfort as not to spill your drinks... and scare the ladies... in short it's allabout getting XXX or doing it for the US market...

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 07-04-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean

We shipped this one to Holland but on it's way to Nice where it will stay for the next 6 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails Why isn't there any off shore boating in the mediterranian?-dsc01301-1296-x-972-.jpg   Why isn't there any off shore boating in the mediterranian?-dsc01311-1296-x-972-.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.