Notices

496 HO problem

Old 06-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't replaced anything that didn't need replaced yet. I just wanted to get a price on his fuel pumps in case I need them. I have a lot of experience in auto repair, just not much in boats yet. I forgot to mention I have the Cool Fuel II I think, the one with paper cartridge filter and disc inside of the fuel block. Thank you for the fuel press. specs., I will definitly try this ove the weekend.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Rage

Listen to Ray. Do your diagnostics first. If it is the fuel pump you can have the new pump for $200 used for $100.
Due to wrong diagnostics how I got stuck with them too.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...erc-parts.html
Old 06-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Rage

Listen to Ray. Do your diagnostics first. If it is the fuel pump you can have the new pump for $200 used for $100.
Due to wrong diagnostics how I got stuck with them too.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...erc-parts.html
I will let you know after I look at some of the things mentioned here and check fuel PSI.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Raylar
Slow down there Partner! You are starting to replace parts like a drunken sailor!
First for what boaters sometimes like your self do is spend $500 or so replacing needless parts instead of spending $400 on a Rinda scan tool and checking a lot of problems your self!

I WILL SAY THIS AGAIN VERY CLEARLY AND COMPLETELY! IF YOU OWN A BOAT WITH A MERC , VOLVO, MARINE POWER, CRUSADER, ETC. 496 ENGINE -BUY A SCAN TOOL AND KEEP IT IN THE BOAT!!!

Second- on the early Merc 496's years 2001 thru 2004, the Cool Fuel I systems with a spin off canister type fuel filter, their is a small inlet screen on the intake side of the primary fuel pump, the one under the spin -on filter. Remove the screen and check for clogging.

The only correct way to check fuel pressure on an EFI engine is under load in the boat! Go to a Napa or auto parts store, buy a fuel pressure gauge and screw it on the Schreader valve on the fuel rail under the rear of the coolant overflow bottle on the Merc and run the boat under loads up to 4800 rpms. The fuel pressure should be about 41-43psi at idle and about 39-43 psi at high rpms. IF IT IS LOW, AND YOU OPERATE THE ENGINE AT HIGH LOADS LIKE THIS IT CAN LEAN BURN THE ENGINE AND DO A LOT OF DAMAGE!!
If its low under load look at the fuel feed and pump system, but try not to just throw parts at the engine until you isolate the problem! You are just usually going to waste a lot of money and frustrate yourself!
Remember, boating is supposed to be fun!
GOOD TROUBLESHOOTING IS AN ACQUIRED SKILL, IT TAKES PRACTICE AND PROPER PROCEDURES!!

Hope these suggestions and advice help.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Hi all , i always read all probs people have with there 496ho , and as always Ray from raylar helps with good advise ,i have the 496ho so as soon as i could i bought the scan tool from where Ray said i could get one . you rearly do need one for todays hi tec motors , and Ray your tipps are not wasted ,i wright all the specs and tipps down in a book just in case i need them one day , Thanks for taking the time to explain to us who do not know Regards paul from England
Old 06-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Registered

so a scan tool will pick up a problem in a 496 even if the light and buzzer are not going off?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Originally Posted by 007joe
so a scan tool will pick up a problem in a 496 even if the light and buzzer are not going off?
If you understand the data you are reading. It doesn't diagnose, it just relays info. The rinda $400 tool is worth every penny.