Notices

Canadian Waters

Old 06-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian Waters

It seems the Canadian goverment has changed enforcement policies in their waters. Apparently, as a technical matter, unless you are navigating directly from one US location to another US location, you must check in with customs before entering Canadian water! Yeeks!

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...219939/-1/news
Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Registered
Gold Member

wow that is a Catch 22 because unless you have certain credentials you CANNOT just call and report it...you have to do it at designated areas. Not to mention the channel in that area doesn't run in just one country's water in it entirerity so anyone navigating the the river will have to check-in and out. Another interesting topic to note is it looks like joint operations between U.S. and Candian Border Patrol Customs and Homeland security may be extending to the US and Candian Coast Gaurd as well on a larger scale.
http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...WS02/306099969
Old 06-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

And they are enforcing it!

http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/20...ts_canadi.html

Last edited by 4bus; 06-21-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: answered my own question
Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BeakBoater35
It seems the Canadian goverment has changed enforcement policies in their waters. Apparently, as a technical matter, unless you are navigating directly from one US location to another US location, you must check in with customs before entering Canadian water! Yeeks!

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...219939/-1/news
According to the US State Department they were only enforcing long standing regulations..... http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...229942/-1/news

Something more must have happened then ther original story reflects ....
Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Registered
Gold Member

I have heard there has been a lot of attention being focused on that stretch of the rivier for "suspicious activity" which might have been a factor. I do know that we used to do a lot of rides along the Canadian shoreline that will definately keep me more on the US side from now on. Looks like as long as you are using say the Candian channel vs the US channel without stopping to get to some of US islands(i.e. using Canadian channel from Singer Castle to get to Potters) you SHOULD be okay.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

This is just plain screwed up! Does Canada really want to do this? That puts more than half of Lake St. Clair off limits. This is not good...
Old 06-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Registered

On the West Coast here I boat around the Gulf Islands which border VERY close to the San Juan (US) Islands. I have been stopped by the US Coast Guard in CANADIAN waters for "security checks" ...go figure......
Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by FogduckerIII
On the West Coast here I boat around the Gulf Islands which border VERY close to the San Juan (US) Islands. I have been stopped by the US Coast Guard in CANADIAN waters for "security checks" ...go figure......
But you were not robbed of your boat or $1,000 cash! I have always lived near the border and I boat (or used to) on Canadian waters. I have always seen Canadians welcomed here with open arms. I am pissed off. Two weeks ago I led another Donzi Classic across Lake St. Clair to the mouth of the Thames River. We could have both lost our boats.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
This is just plain screwed up! Does Canada really want to do this? That puts more than half of Lake St. Clair off limits. This is not good...
I don't read this as just a Canada thing. Our stretch of the river and border is really more of a joint effort between the US and Canada and appears they are only going to get more tightly knit. I know when I went through my Interview for my Nexus card I did my canadian side of the interview and then went literally to the next cube and did the US interview.

Last edited by cuposterchild; 06-22-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
This is the first time that I have heard this and I haven't heard of anyone around Lake St. Clair and the Detroit River being stopped or charged for driving in Canadian waters and I haven't been stopped driving in U.S. waters also. That would really suck and affect tourism in both countries. I have a Nexus Card which is good for 5 years and only cost $50.00 CDN. Can't go wrong with that and you can us it at the Border Crossings and don't need to have your Pass Port with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.