Commentary: Will Sunny Isles Survive? >

Commentary: Will Sunny Isles Survive?

Notices

Commentary: Will Sunny Isles Survive?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,224 Posts
Default Commentary: Will Sunny Isles Survive?

Fingers crossed, http://speedonthewater.com/commentar...s-survive.html.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
I sure hope it survives, it really has the potential to be one of the best events to watch the big boys, and participate yourself as well. I heard some complaints about the change in location, but I have to say if the event is going to grow gulf stream is a great pick and venue. The only thing I would try to do is, add some pit related events back over in the haul over marina where they put the race boats in and out. A small venue there with drinks, sponsers, t-shirts forsale, and music, would add to the excitement, and give the racers alot more motivation as well as alot more attention. And as soon as the races are over and the boats are out, have shuttles that will take people over to the main event at gulf stream.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

It's a great event, in a great location, run by great people. It just needs that "something" to get it over the hump.

I can remember a few years ago Desert Storm was a "West Coast event full of little lake boats". That was the opinion of the east coast "Big Boys".

Then a few of them got together and made the trip. Other than this past event, it's been a MUST DO ever since.

SIB needs the same kind of Catalyst event. Not sure how to get it, but it needs to happen.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The poker run entry, was $450. Plus extra crew at 100 bucks each.

so a party boat of captain plus 3 is $750. Plus dockage, hotel, food, drinks, gas, getting there. So, it's a $3,000 weekend. If you live near by, maybe, you can knock that down to a $1500 weekend.

So the problem (with this and other poker runs) is they have priced themselves into elite status then wonder why no one shows up. The big ones from the past still survive using the high priced method because of the repeat customer base who know they will have fun and make plans for it year after year.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

With Father's Day being on Sunday, I doubt that helped either.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

To borrow a line from the old Bill Clinton campaign......"It's the economy stupid."

No disrespect to Matt, he covered the situation very well, but you have to add in there, the factor of the anxiety that everyone feels about the economy.

Nobody works harder than Larry and Brad to put on a great race. But, the people who should be there supporting it just can't seem to bring themselves to commit that extra money.

The real US unemployment number is around 16% and that includes the part timers who would take a real job, if they had the opportunity. BUT, it does not include those who are so discouraged they have left the job market altogether......so are we closer to 20%??

Just think how uncertain the labor market is right now....in the United States today, there isn't a single strike going on anywhere. In the 70's an average of 30,000 per month were on the picket lines.

As a boat builder, the only sales I have seen recently have been to Europe. The value of the dollar has dropped so much, our boats seem like a bargain compared to the Euro. US Banks are so afraid of the government shutting them down because they don't have enough core capital, they won't lend to anyone. The days of using your house as an ATM machine are long gone. If an American wanted to buy a boat and finance it, where does he go? Some finance companies are trying to work with the really big manufacturers, but the smallor custom shops are on the outside.

As an open ocean racer, HORBA has tried to put together two real old school races per year, one in New York for the Northerners and one in Florida for the Southerners. For New York, we have this September 24, the Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island race. This is the second year and the race is a go.

In Florida we tried to put a Fort Lauderdale to Key West race, on the weekend before the actual Key West races started this November. The people we were working with down there, pulled the plug after seeing the low boat count for Sunny Isles. These races are expensive to put on without city or town sponsorhsip money....and that is why they said.....let's see where the economy goes, we can try again next year.

I'm sorry to see this state of affairs happen to offshore racing, but there are so many reasons behind it, I don't think it will turn for the better until the economy picks up or turns around once and for all......and I really don't see that happening in 2011.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Sunny Isles has the potential to be one of the biggest events of the year in high performance boating. I would also agree change the date away from Father's Day as I flew home early Sunday to be w/ the family. My hat is off to Brad , Larry and the Entire OPA Group.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
I think Sunny Isles has the potential to be one of the biggest events of the year in high performance boating. I would also agree change the date away from Father's Day as I flew home early Sunday to be w/ the family. My hat is off to Brad , Larry and the Entire OPA Group.
Agreed. I went to that New York run a coupla years that was always on Father's day where you run up a river and dodge logs. Stopped going simply from the date.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

And hats off to Stu Jones as well. We had fun Saturday.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,630 Likes on 3,769 Posts

Good article Matt,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.