Notices

change props from rh/rh to rh/lh

Old 06-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default change props from rh/rh to rh/lh

Hi,

Ihave a Pachanga 27 with twin engine, the props are both rh. where are the benefits in using rh and lh props compared to rh/rh ones?

thanks for your ideas

Daniel
Old 06-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by Komo
Hi,

Ihave a Pachanga 27 with twin engine, the props are both rh. where are the benefits in using rh and lh props compared to rh/rh ones?

thanks for your ideas

Daniel
Small blocks with alphas? the boat wont list to its side with a few people on board,better hole shot..but if you have alphas you will need to change the gears in the lower on the port engine to put a lefty prop on it.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Registered

Hi,

When you have both drives spinning in the same direction (right in your case) the torque from both drives spinning in the same direction usually causes a list to starboard. To level the boat you have to use tab to correct it. When the drives spin opposite of each other the propeller torque from the left and right cancels each other out and the boat rides level. When you have twin engines you really want them spinning in opposite directions. If you have Bravo drives this is easy to do since a Bravo will spin either direction, just switch a shift cable and put on the prop and go. If you have an Alpha drive this is not that easy, you have to replace at least the lower unit with a counter-rotation model.

Hope this helps

Old 06-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

thanks for your replies. I have Alpha`s and need to change lower parts in case of corrosion, so I decided for a lh and rh part. Is it better for topspeed?
Old 06-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

it will be a small speed increase if any, depending on how you spin them can help your ride. Spinning them out will help you carry the nose better with trim. spinning the in will lift the stern but introduce chine walk and a wierd feeling when going fast over chop where you feel the back of the boat moving around-Just go ahead and spint them out, better, safer.....
Old 06-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Registered

Well, I don't think it will be alot faster, but it should be a little faster just because the attitude of the boat will be correct and you won't have to drop a tab to level it. My first boat had big blocks with Alpha drives and I will say that the 454 is hell on a Alpha drive, the counter-rotation drive always was the one that failed because it is weaker than a regular drive. If you have small blocks I think you will be very happy with the change to C-R.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

I had both RH on my Fountain with Alphas....I switched to one counter rotating.....my boat didnt list to one side at all when both spun the same way....ahhh no...not one bit, you could let your hand off the wheel at speed easy, no tab required....when I switched there was no difference in top speed or holeshot...it turns left a little better now at speed though....

The only things I really noticed are it tracks much straighter now at dead slow speeds (like in the Marina) it used to wander all over the place, you were always chasing it.....and its much easier to get or try new props now as a set always comes in a LH and a RH as opposed to two RHs....D

and put showers on those alphas!

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 06-26-2011 at 02:16 PM.