Notices

Ilmor Marine MV8 6.2L?

Old 06-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Ilmor is an engine company that does not put its talent or name on any engine that is not exceptional and a first rate reliable product ,Period!
This engine series should be a great small block replacement engine with a great weight to horsepower ration and excellent overall power and torque.
The real issue here for re-power is whether Ilmor will release these engines without the catalyst emissions systems for re-power on older hulls only as the emissions engine package cannot be modified with headers or otherwise for non-emissions use.
There is no reason you could not use the emissions version though but the engine would be basically unmodifiable because of the special ECM and programming.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 06-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMI headers

Darrell,

Actually CMI does offer a variety of LS Small Block headers, short and long primary versions.

CMI

Originally Posted by DMOORE
What is the weight saving of a n Alpha over a Bravo? The reason I ask is, a 400 HP LS motor, mated to a bravo style drive would be almost an indestructible package, with only a small increase in overall weight. I personally would give up a few pounds of weight to have the added durability. Just something to think about.

BTW, the CMI headers are designed for the old small blocks. The lLS style motors have a different port spacing. I'm not sure if they have them for LS motors yet.

Darrell.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink What's a marine emissions engine???

Maybe I should explain further for those who don't understand the new EPA required MARINE EMISSIONS ENGINES!!.
These engines even the one talked about here by Ilmor use a catalyst system in the exhaust manifolds which is controlled by this engines ECM. If you take off this system and add headers, -"THE ENGINE WON'T RUN!!" They have special O2 sensors and inputs from the catalyst and fuel systems to calibrate them for emissions and unbolting this sensor system will not allow the ECM to run the engine. New headers currently don' t have catalytic converters in them.
The manufacturers like Ilmor won't re-program the ECM or allow any other party to re-program the ECM to eliminate the catalytic system as that is a violation of federal law and would result in their loss of approval to build these engines period!
The days of just un-bolt the old and bolt on the new with respect to new (2010 and up) marine engines is gone except for two manufacturers may still produce these type of engines for re-power in older boats only as various states may allow!
Not trying to RAIN on anyone here just trying to get performance boaters educated in what the new emissions engines are and how they are currently and practically unmodifiable so they don't go purchase one, buy headers and find out after the fact what they might be stuck with!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 06-27-2011, 11:33 AM
CMC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the new engines with the cats meet most states decible requirements ?
Old 06-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

talke to ilmor they will give you all the info call them talk to ean hawkins734 456 3600
Old 06-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbcmi
Darrell,

Actually CMI does offer a variety of LS Small Block headers, short and long primary versions.

CMI

Sorry about that. I looked at your site and didn't find anything about the LS style headers. My bad.

Darrell.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 914 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Maybe I should explain further for those who don't understand the new EPA required MARINE EMISSIONS ENGINES!!.
These engines even the one talked about here by Ilmor use a catalyst system in the exhaust manifolds which is controlled by this engines ECM. If you take off this system and add headers, -"THE ENGINE WON'T RUN!!" They have special O2 sensors and inputs from the catalyst and fuel systems to calibrate them for emissions and unbolting this sensor system will not allow the ECM to run the engine. New headers currently don' t have catalytic converters in them.
The manufacturers like Ilmor won't re-program the ECM or allow any other party to re-program the ECM to eliminate the catalytic system as that is a violation of federal law and would result in their loss of approval to build these engines period!
The days of just un-bolt the old and bolt on the new with respect to new (2010 and up) marine engines is gone except for two manufacturers may still produce these type of engines for re-power in older boats only as various states may allow!
Not trying to RAIN on anyone here just trying to get performance boaters educated in what the new emissions engines are and how they are currently and practically unmodifiable so they don't go purchase one, buy headers and find out after the fact what they might be stuck with!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

I wonder if you can adapt some O2 simulators like you can for the LS based cars that get heavily modded???

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 PM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
I think an Alpha would have a problem with that torque!!!
Nice fat torque curve, that boat must run great
Thx ! I hope so ,it's a 21 v hull bare hull weight arround 1100 lbs and gonna try a blackhawk on it hoping to be touching the triple digits if I have the balls to get it there ,normally they are outboard hulls doing 78 mph whit a merc 280 efi
Attached Thumbnails Ilmor Marine MV8 6.2L?-img_0079-%5B800x600%5D.jpg   Ilmor Marine MV8 6.2L?-img_0077-%5B800x600%5D.jpg   Ilmor Marine MV8 6.2L?-foto.jpg  

Old 06-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
I wonder if you can adapt some O2 simulators like you can for the LS based cars that get heavily modded???
I would have to think so. Those are illegal, but there's no shortage of how to guides for making them online if you are the handy type.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 914 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
I would have to think so. Those are illegal, but there's no shortage of how to guides for making them online if you are the handy type.
Yes they are illegal...for on-road use per the Federal Government...but nothing says anything about off-road use!
And i have made them myself once to pass emissions on my truck when i had a bad connector and procrastinated too long before getting it fixed and had to go get my emissions done to renew my plates!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.