Notices

Ilmor Marine MV8 6.2L?

Old 06-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ilmor Marine MV8 6.2L?

Anyone running a Ilmor Marine MV8 6.2L? I know they are not offshore engines but I may be considering one for a possible upcoming project. It would be replacing a 350Mag MPI mated to an alpha ss drive. Any thoughts or forseeable issues?

http://www.ilmor.com/en/marine/recre...l/MV8-62L.aspx

Or possibly the closed cooled OPS version...

http://www.ilmor.com/en/marine/recre...8-62L-OPS.aspx

Would be looking to run CMI Small Block Headers too...
Old 06-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I doubt anyone here is running any of those engines since they are intended to be installed in Master Crafts. i would like to see how they turn out in a stern drive application. Not sure that an Alpha is going to stay together though.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice engine! Build and drive the SS properly it will live. Love to have a couple of those
Old 06-25-2011, 06:59 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I figured with the weight savings of the aluminum block and heads and extra HP mated to the Alpha SS drive it would be a nice combo.

When you say "Build the drive properly"... what do you mean as I do not have the boat yet... this is all homework before the purchase. I heard you can get HD internals... is that what you mean?
Old 06-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes there is an HD gear set available, I would consider cryo treating gears, have a really good drive guy set it up with the proper clearances, add drive shower, I use Merc HP gear lube and change every 20 hrs. 20 hrs might seem exessive but it gives you a chance to check on health of drive, since they are NLA it's cheap insurance.
Oh yea it's ok to fly them....see avatar ; )

Last edited by Sonic30ss; 06-25-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DjMikeyC
Anyone running a Ilmor Marine MV8 6.2L? I know they are not offshore engines but I may be considering one for a possible upcoming project. It would be replacing a 350Mag MPI mated to an alpha ss drive. Any thoughts or forseeable issues?

Would be looking to run CMI Small Block Headers too...

What is the weight saving of a n Alpha over a Bravo? The reason I ask is, a 400 HP LS motor, mated to a bravo style drive would be almost an indestructible package, with only a small increase in overall weight. I personally would give up a few pounds of weight to have the added durability. Just something to think about.

BTW, the CMI headers are designed for the old small blocks. The lLS style motors have a different port spacing. I'm not sure if they have them for LS motors yet.

Darrell.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:34 PM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ls header

Originally Posted by DMOORE
What is the weight saving of a n Alpha over a Bravo? The reason I ask is, a 400 HP LS motor, mated to a bravo style drive would be almost an indestructible package, with only a small increase in overall weight. I personally would give up a few pounds of weight to have the added durability. Just something to think about.

BTW, the CMI headers are designed for the old small blocks. The lLS style motors have a different port spacing. I'm not sure if they have them for LS motors yet.

Darrell.
They have them I bought mine even 2 years ago , they look very good
But they perform less .
There are more options the last year for the ls engine as they are being more popular.

I think a good ls will kill the alpha mine is making 535 lbs/ft from 3100 till 6300 rpm And have 540 hp @ 6100
Old 06-26-2011, 06:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bor
They have them I bought mine even 2 years ago , they look very good
But they perform less .
There are more options the last year for the ls engine as they are being more popular.

I think a good ls will kill the alpha mine is making 535 lbs/ft from 3100 till 6300 rpm And have 540 hp @ 6100
I think an Alpha would have a problem with that torque!!!
Nice fat torque curve, that boat must run great
Old 06-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

hay go with the ls motors there awsome i got two in my boat luv em and dont go with the alpha you will kill it do bravo trust me illmores the whip worked on one the other day in a master craft they do a slick motor
Old 06-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Registered

Just did a tour of the Ilmor facility Friday, and all I can say is it's incredible! These guys build every Indy car engine for Honda and the technical expertise is incredible! I am super impressed with my 710's, and I'm sure that anything Ilmor builds will be top notch all the way .
If your in Plymouth Michigan , I highly recommend arranging a tour of the facility. Stu from Florida powerboat just did a tour, and I'm sure you'll be seeing something from them shortly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.