Phillip/Shane You Guys around?

Old 07-08-2002, 07:17 PM
mjuwalters

ttt

Old 07-08-2002, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi mjuwalters,
you are right, the numbers are close. I did not know the rev limiters were set at 6000 on your motors. Did you have that done? As far as I knew the limit is 6400 or so. This would explain a lot. I think you have to have the limiters reset to 6400 to begin dialing in the boat. I think the 100 pounds in the bow is way too much. The most we ever ran in the 28' Skater was 35 pounds in each sponson, and that was only when the water really got bad. Your boat is bigger then the 28' Skater, and should not need any weight except on the very bad days. Our Skater had the 5" set backs also, and the attitude can easily be adjusted with the engine trim. Please forgive me, but do you have a lot of time in the boat yet? most people that do not always think the boats are too light in the bow, but don't worry, It will be fine without any weight. There are quite a few 30' Spec's ( very similiar to your boat) running here in NJ with 300's and I don't think anyone is running weight in the bow. Get the weight out, and get the limiters up to 6400 and see what the true speed is. As far as the 14'5' props, lets see what the 15x34's do.
Philip

Last edited by Philip; 07-08-2002 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:53 AM
mjuwalters

Philip your right I do not have a lot of time in this boat. I put weight in to try to stop the porpise,did not help. I had a hydratech with triple omc v8 for about 10yrs. Big difference. No I did not change the rev limiters, just lucky I suppose. I'am thinking about a tunnel tab to stop the porpise. Ido agree with you the ecus need a trip to rapair ,$250 ea to reset rev limits.
I will try to get down your way sometime and we will go for a ride, or if you come up to the chesapeake we will go out for the day. I will keep you informed of my progress.
Thank You
Michael

Old 07-09-2002, 09:54 AM
Registered

Mjuwalters,
The weight will not help with the porpoise; Those at Skaterfest will remember Peter calling it the “Linder lope” and George called it the “Hledin Hop” Good natured kidding. But this is the hull starting to pack, and spill air in the tunnel. Once the hull gets up on the bubble, “air pack” it will go away. The 28’ and the 32’ Skater both do it. Just run faster! Remove the weight and post the 112 mph you will run. The aerodynamics of your boat are very good. This boat will be fast for promax’s. I only wonder what happened to the rev limiters? Please keep us posted, and fly that boat, it will not get too light. Spin those props out.
Philip
Old 07-09-2002, 09:57 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Philip
Mjuwalters,
The weight will not help with the porpoise; Those at Skaterfest will remember Peter calling it the “Linder lope” and George called it the “Hledin Hop” Good natured kidding. But this is the hull starting to pack, and spill air in the tunnel. Once the hull gets up on the bubble, “air pack” it will go away. The 28’ and the 32’ Skater both do it. Just run faster! Remove the weight and post the 112 mph you will run. The aerodynamics of your boat are very good. This boat will be fast for promax’s. I only wonder what happened to the rev limiters? Please keep us posted, and fly that boat, it will not get too light. Spin those props out.
Philip
DITTO!
Old 07-10-2002, 07:51 AM
mjuwalters

Philip Ok, I'am taking your advice. It dam near killed me, crawing up into those little holes to get to the bow to pull out four 25lb bags of lead shot. They seem heavier then I remember.Soon as I get a chance to run I'll let you know the results. The porpose does not stop till about 80mph, some days a little to fast for the chesapeke bay.Mabey i'll have to install five point harness, the girls might complain, it could chafe them in the wrong places. If you what I mean. Remember I am running in fresh water , a couple of miles an hour slower then salt I think. Thanks for your continuing advice, my experience is with a much heaver and different hull.
Shane and philip you should try to get down to the chesapeake, there are some cool places to go. If you can get the chance, let me know well plan something. There is a poker run july20th. It should be pretty cool.
Michael

Old 07-10-2002, 09:07 AM
Registered

mjuwalters,
I have to give you an attaboy. That sure was a lot of weight. putting 100 lbs that far in front of the CG has a much more profound effect then at the CG or behind it. The boat really come alive now. As far as the lope, if you find yourself having to run at that speed, (water condition, timid passenger) I can get rid of most of it by trimming "in" not best for fuel burn, but lowering the bow will help. as you get past the 75-80 mph speed, bring the trim out. As you get more time in the boat you will feel more comfortable really flying the boat. Don't be alarmed with the flighty feeling! this is how a cat runs. Most "v" bottom owners making the transition to a cat are not comfortable at first, but you will learn to love the feeling of Low Level Flight. If the boat is balanced well, and I see no reason a 30' motion with 300 promax's will have any balance issues, the boat will fly level and straight. Again, the trim button is your friend. If you really want to feel "Flight on the edge", go for a ride with Shane, 24' 500 hp, glue some feathers on his boat, and he will head south for the winter. Please keep us posted.
Philip

Last edited by Philip; 07-10-2002 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:37 AM
Registered

Question In Gear?

Hi Parnell
What was the cause of the shifter problem? Could you get the port motor to shift into reverse? Did you get the water pres thing fixed.
Hydro
Old 07-10-2002, 10:02 AM
Registered

Hydro,
I have found that when one of these motors have a hard time shifting out of forward or reverse, the cause is the engine is not going into dead idle, even 100 or 150 rpm's will cause this. there is a idle stop that must come into full contact for the motor to shift easily. It will shift from the arm, but not from the control lever. Take the cover off, and check that the stop is fully contacting,
Philip
Old 07-16-2002, 11:56 AM
Registered

Philip/Shane
Thanks for the time guys, both of you had good insights and I appreciate the info. With my new props I got 97 , still not enough but i am moving closer. Talking to numerous people i am now focusing on the width of the motors and if you guys and hydro and anyone else with a small skater could tell me their centerline measurements i would appreciate it. Hydro, there is a screw on the top of the shifting mechanism in the motor itself that keeps loosening up and makes shifting worse as it loosens. I now tighen it every few times out and it shifts a little better. I am planning on replaceing that particular item soon so maybe it will quite coming out of adjustment. Let me know how you are doing. NK

Quick Reply: Phillip/Shane You Guys around?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.