Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
First time buyer, what would you choose? >

First time buyer, what would you choose?

Notices

First time buyer, what would you choose?

Old 06-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonH2O
I've looked at a few. They're good for a specific type of info. I'm just trying to get some more first hand experiences.
Personally never owned one... but they are available with 496 / bravo set ups. which I don't think anyone will argue is one of the most reliable performance oriented packages available today. Think e tics are mfg in AZ? Anyways good luck
Old 06-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarab63
Personally never owned one... but they are available with 496 / bravo set ups. which I don't think anyone will argue is one of the most reliable performance oriented packages available today. Think e tics are mfg in AZ? Anyways good luck
What are you running?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think I'd run out and drop $160k on a first boat, especially not knowing what you want or like. I'd suggest spending time on as many boats as you can and then buy something used well under budget, because once you spend a season or two with whatever you get, you'll want to upgrade anyway!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Registered

Everyone has been asking great questions and I appreciate all the feedback, but I'm still looking some critiques on brands. Who do YOU ALL like and why? Maybe this is for a new thread?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Registered

Here is a great family boat....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o5MFbC0ifA
Old 06-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^I agree with jc on Playcraft. I have seen them in person at boats shows and they are built with top shelf materials. They run like performance boats and hold the LOTO shootout record for pontoon boats at over 90mph. This is a boat you can put 10+ people in, have great fun and still run fast and drop jaws when you pass people running 70+ in a PONTOON boat.

But say you don't want to be seen in a pontoon boat; here's one that will fit your family in and run fast too. The 27 X Flight is Advantage Boats' top seller now;

http://www.advantageboats.com/x-flight_27.htm
Old 06-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonH2O
Everyone has been asking great questions and I appreciate all the feedback, but I'm still looking some critiques on brands. Who do YOU ALL like and why? Maybe this is for a new thread?
Where are you boating? Family? Kids? Friends on the boat too? What are the typical conditions, flat, sloppy, or rough? Salt or Fresh? Trailering or a Slip?

I would spend anywhere from $25k to $75k on your first boat. Since your available amount to spend is pretty high, then I would go with twins, it's more maintenance, more gas, ect.. but a lot easier to dock and maneuver. Additionally you're gonna have mistakes driving it, docking it, ect.. let your first boat be the one to take the lumps of learning. I would also highly recommend taking a class from Tres Martin, he can teach you what it would take you two years and things you'll probably never learn otherwise.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Registered

If you want a lot of room for a family, a cat style deck boat like e-ticket would be awesome (or DCB or Eliminator or Howard or ....I'm sure I'm forgetting some).

An open bow V bottom like Eliminator, Nordic, Sunsation are some of what I'd check out if I were you.

Also, to see what guys in your neck of the woods are rocking I'd check riverdavesplace
edit: see you're there already.

Most on this site are more "offshore oriented" and not as into the West Coast style family/performance boats.

Just be sure to check insurance on whatever catches your eye, and I'd buy a used boat and leave lots in the budget for upkeep and actually getting out and using the thing.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.sunsationboats.com/mod288.htm

Joe at Sunsation can build you a brand new 80 mph 28' for less than you want to spend. Also could put you in a brand new 85 mph 32' for right around your budget, also look for preowned because for $60k you can get alot of boat. One ride and you will be sold, worth taking a weekend for a factory tour too.

(810)794-4888- ask for Joe and he can answer any question about a new or pre-owned Sunsation.

Last edited by 105mph_38_2003; 06-28-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 105mph_38_2003
http://www.sunsationboats.com/mod288.htm

Joe at Sunsation can build you a brand new 80 mph 28' for less than you want to spend. Also could put you in a brand new 85 mph 32' for right around your budget, also look for preowned because for $60k you can get alot of boat. One ride and you will be sold, worth taking a weekend for a factory tour too.

(810)794-4888- ask for Joe and he can answer any question about a new or pre-owned Sunsation.
So my question here, and this applies to a lot of the post I'm reading, is with some of these lesser known builders(and I hesitate to use that term because I mean no offense by it) is there a quality deficit I'll be suffering from a more known and repuitable dealer? Eliminator, howard, etc?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.