Notices

Paint over vinyl wrap.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint over vinyl wrap.

I was thinking about having my 87 Formula SR-311 redone over the winter. I was going to have it painted and match the interior. Someone asked me why I don't just have it wrapped. I don't know what the pros and cons of this would be. I also don't know if anyone actually does a full wrap on a boat. Just looking for some opinion.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Registered

The wrap will be cheaper than paint depending on how in elaborate you would want it.

Paint will hold up better than the wrap especially when tied up with bumpers out.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Registered

I don't want anthing super crazy. I just want it all black on the sides and burnt orange on the top with a tribal to split the two colors.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Registered

for what you want, go with paint.

wraps are less expensive than paint, but less durable, and do not last forever, when it is time to replace, you can have a mess on your hands.

just die-cut vinyl is cheaper and easier than both, but you cannot cover an entire boat with it like what you want, it would just be a design
Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Registered

I figured paint would be my best bet for the color and then vinyl for the design. Whats the going rate or how much should I expect to pay for just the paint job?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

you can expect ten to fifteen thousand for a quality job on a 31 like yours pending complexity, color choice and necessary repairs to the surface. I think i have a template for the 311 if you want to play graphics on pen and paper. Paints the only way to go for color representation, to me wraps always look like . . . .well . . . . wraps (and clip art)
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 06-28-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
you can expect ten to fifteen thousand for a quality job on a 31 like yours pending complexity, color choice and necessary repairs to the surface. I think i have a template for the 311 if you want to play graphics on pen and paper. Paints the only way to go for color representation, to me wraps always look like . . . .well . . . . wraps (and clip art)
Ya if you have the templates that would be awesome.