Bent/Broken skeg...bravo 1 >

Bent/Broken skeg...bravo 1

Notices

Bent/Broken skeg...bravo 1

Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent/Broken skeg...bravo 1

So, i was out this past weekend and had a slight mishaps, I have been so proud that my bravos look brand new on a 1990 pq 290 enticer....having said that...now my starboard skeg is bent pretty good, so i attempted to straighten it, had two big hammers...torch.....and you know the rest of the story...broken skeg. I ordered two of the panther skeg safe guards for the bravo. Has anyone used these? They look good and im sure surve the purpose. Now, i no longer have the original bravos without any damage...oh well, 316 stainless always looks good on the business end of a twin engine performance boat!!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 PM
VIP Member

Sorry to give you bad news, but those skeg guards are going to make you lose some mph (2-4) You can have a good welding shop weld in a new piece and then reshape it, paint it and good as new.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Registered

well, I have heard this before but lots of responses on other forums state otherwise....can't see this causing that much of speed loss...why does it?? I was told to weld one on is a couple of hundred dollars...I got both of them for $200. Is there any real proven tests that these cause speed loss??
Old 06-28-2011, 09:28 PM
VIP Member

Well I guess you could put them on and then report back if you lost any speed or not. My suggestion comes from 20 plus years of owning and repairing boats.

Let us know what you find.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered

I recieved the guards today and they do not fit??? they are for bravo 1&3 1990 and up. The widest part is way to wide, when its pushed up to the bullet it sticks out like 3". I have heard of people putting these on. The boat is a 90 pq but maybe the drives are an 89?? Has anyone put these on an older boat with bravo drives?? Gonna call marin tech products tomorrow and see whats going on??