Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Steps to straight hull, anyone done ? >

Steps to straight hull, anyone done ?

Notices

Steps to straight hull, anyone done ?

Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are trying to only go 70, steps may not be the answer. Have you been in, driven, etc. a step bottom boat?

Steps do more and more for the boat as speed increases. I'd say on my twin step that they do nothing 40 MPH and under. at 45 you can start to feel the boat wake up. At 65 you can feel the boat start to really loosen up. It runs flat... really flat. The steps really change the angle of attack and at slower speeds the boat runs really wet. What I'm getting at here is you could add a step or two and lose speed.

I'd think a V pad would be way simpler to add on and your success chances are far greater. Here is a thread on adding a pad. Seems like these guys are going with the flat pad, vs. the V pad but there is decent conversation. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...-v-bottom.html

Another idea, the easiest to make happen, is to add another set of lifting strakes farther in towards center of the boat. That would be a similar concept to a V pad.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

if you want to go 70 buy a blower...you might actualy hit 75...alot cheaper and less time involved,,,,and it works ,,,,and plenty of people have done it
Old 07-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

I personally, would like to see him give it a go. No gains can be obtained, or innovation made without experimentation. It may be a total flop, it may not but one thing is for certain, you miss 100% of the shots you never take.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to widen the strakes about a half inch each. That would give the hull more lift and it wouldn't mean cutting the boat apart. I thought about that when I had my old Scarab. Then I bought a different boat.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weren't there pics of sunsation adding steps to the powerplay plug when building the F4?

Yes. There are some good pics in this thread.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...-pictures.html

Last edited by Wahoo ATV; 07-06-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
Weren't there pics of sunsation adding steps to the powerplay plug when building the F4?

Yes. There are some good pics in this thread.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...-pictures.html
They added a step inbetween steps that were already there, very different. Laying 1/2" piece of wood between 2 steps gives a third 1/2" step, while making the front step 1/2" smaller. Very easy in comparison. And it was on a dedicated plug, not a running boat.