Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fatal Accident Colonial Beach Va (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/257197-fatal-accident-colonial-beach-va.html)

Potomac Fever 07-04-2011 02:01 PM

Fatal Accident Colonial Beach Va

Woman killed in boat crash on Monroe Bay
Woman killed in Colonial Beach boat crash.
BY SCOTT SHENK
Date published: 7/3/2011

BY SCOTT SHENK

A West Virginia couple's vacation at Monroe Bay Campground near Colonial Beach ended in a tragic boating crash yesterday.

Lyle Hartman and his wife, Margaret, were boating on Monroe Bay when another boat crashed into them. The second boat became airborne and landed on the Hartmans' boat, said John Bull, spokesman for the Virginia Marine Resources Police.

The incident happened about 4 p.m. Lyle Hartman was piloting his boat, and another boat was trailing them, Bull said.

A jet ski appeared, and Hartman slowed "fairly quickly and dramatically," but the second boat did not, Bull said.

The second boat ran over the Hartmans' vessel, killing 53-year-old Margaret Hartman and seriously injuring her husband, Bull said.

Lyle Hartman, who suffered head injuries, was taken to Mary Washington Hospital. No one else was injured in the crash. No charges have been filed.

"We haven't seen anything like this in quite some time," Bull said.

Russell Gouldman, whose family owns Monroe Bay Campground, said in a telephone interview last night that he saw the two capsized boats in the bay after the crash. He also was told that a visitor to his campground had been killed.

The Hartmans' family has been notified, Bull said.

The Virginia Marine Resources Police crash team is investigating the incident.

Shah Mat 07-04-2011 02:04 PM

I read that in the paper. Sad.....

Not saying anything about the cause of this accident but, I always thought to myself that Monroe Bay was too crowded to be on plane in some places.

chirspallen 07-04-2011 07:41 PM

Jet Ski's don't appear...

probably zipped out in front of him without even looking...

of course i am speculating, (not that i haven't seen that happen hundreds of times)

AB From Windsor 07-04-2011 07:58 PM

Condolences and Prayer to the Family.

seafordguy 07-04-2011 08:20 PM

A LOT of accidents and deaths over the last few months here in VA.

PokerRun388 07-04-2011 08:23 PM

Very Sad! Man, I hate reading these stories... I hate it..!!

That's why I never go boating on holiday weekends, just too many things that can go wrong...!!

SO SAD!...

richanton 07-04-2011 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by PokerRun388 (Post 3444663)
Very Sad! Man, I hate reading these stories... I hate it..!!

That's why I never go boating on holiday weekends, just too many things that can go wrong...!!

SO SAD!...

Agreed, holidays are a great time to just hang around the house and relax. Never go out partying on a holiday and very rarely boat on a holiday.

Sydwayz 07-04-2011 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by seafordguy (Post 3444661)
A LOT of accidents and deaths over the last few months here in VA.

Sure is a good thing we've got all this Safe Boater Card legistlation! :(