Notices

Now Driving Matters

Old 07-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,225 Posts
Default Now Driving Matters

Written for the much broader and less-informed audience of Boats.com, but there is some decent stuff in here, http://features.boats.com/boat-conte...iving-matters/.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt, Thanks for helping the offshore community develop a true understanding of whats going with articles like this about what it's like in the cockpit of todays racing machines. Like a airplane pilot it's not the action it'self that is difficult (just turning) but the instinctive action of making quick decisions affecting a 12,000lb mass moving at a high rate of speed and most importantly what to do when it goes wrong.....at 150+.

Great stuff as usual. Were lucky to have a talented writer giving the sport attention.

Miss Geico

Last edited by MissGeicoRacing; 07-13-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Thanks a ton, guys. Try to decode what you do for a more-general boating audience such as the visitors to Boats.com is a challenge—but a fun one.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Nice Article!

Hi Matt, I enjoyed reading that article, thanku for sharing!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Matt,

I was fortunate enough to be the Race Director for the Rochester Offshore Powerboat Association in 1988 where we ran a Divisional level APBA race on Lake Ontario that featured one of the very first “arena style” courses that was set up more for the spectators that for the racers. More than a few drivers came up to me before the race and um, “questioned my sanity.” We stuck with our plan though.

After the race – which went off without a hitch – pretty much the same folks who complained came back up to me and commented on the great deck to deck racing that the course generated. And better yet, the spectators got the best show on earth and could see the entire course. Yes, it’s not open ocean racing, but the new style has caused everybody to up their game in a different way. Nice job documenting it!