Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When you had a child or tough financial year did you hang onto the boat or sale? >

When you had a child or tough financial year did you hang onto the boat or sale?

Notices

When you had a child or tough financial year did you hang onto the boat or sale?

Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I ended up buying a bigger boat after the kids came.

It's not like the used boat market is great right now anyway... If I were in your shoes, I'd put the boat up for sale with the attitude that if I get the right price it's gone. If I don't... I'll have fun with it as time permits.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
I hope to get some responses here from some older individuals who have been through parenting. I have a 2 year old son now and a 1989 Sonic 30ss. We have used the boat less and less this year because he has had several surgeries that cost me a few grand and the boat cost me a good chunk of change at the beginning of the year. This has been my first year since boating that money has been tighter and I can afford to own the boat just not use it as much as usual. I am trying to decide rather to sell it and get another one in 2013 or just to hang onto it and make payments on it to build some equity in it. I am curious what others did or how you found it useful. I do some financial assistance on the side and I see that most of the time once children are out of daycare young parents pocket books seem to ease. I know this could be situational but I also know for a fact where my career is headed and that I will be making more money than I am today in 3-4 years in my family business. Any insight on what your decision was would be great. Please don't turn this into a preaching ceremony just answer the question.
My .02, Sell it. Being able to USE the boat is all part of being able to AFFORD it. Also, what you say about your future earning potential, There are NO guarantees in life.

I've owned / own pretty modest boats compared to my overall financial picture. I don't want to have to worry about the financial end of boating or have to sell (probably at a loss) if a problem comes my way.

I am a family man myself. My kids have been on the boat since 6 mos old. The last few years I have boated less manily because the kids are involved in sports, music, etc. and that takes away from boating time. Just the way it is.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

We didn't sell our and we just had our first child in June. I consider myself lucky that we are going to be able to hold on to it (financially) and that the child LOVES it (he spent about 15 hours on the water over the course of last weekend).

Your circumstance sounds unfortunately different so I think you need to do what makes you comfortable. If owning the boat takes the fun out of it, get rid of it, and wait for things to get better.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My thoughts are if you decide to sell it, I would not give it away. Try and get a fair price if you can. We all know that in this economy that may not happen. If you do sell it, look for a smaller single engine boat. That way you would not be "boatless", and could still keep your family involved in boating. Then as things progress you can always get back into a larger twin engine boat again. The main thing is to enjoy this time with your family. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is why my Cafe' is for sale. 15 month old son and not enough time to use the boat as she deserves to be used.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Registered

Man, keep your boat.....You like it and it makes you happy. Things will improve and you can always cut expenses in other areas to afford fuel for it. Besides its one less thing you'll need to replace later.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered

I bought my boat in Feb of 2010. Put a ton of $$, and work into, so much, that I almost got burnt out.

In ocotober of 2010 my wife lost her job, and is now in nursing school. We have a 9yr old boy, that is into BMX racing, which takes up virtually every Friday, and Sunday, and my wife has clinicals for the next 4 saturdays.

I acutally put the boat up for sale last fall, and I was within 1k, of selling it. Finally I took it back off the market, cause I started looking and couldn't find anything else i would be happy with in my price range. My boat has been used about 4 times this summer.

It kinda sucks making payments when I don't use it, but at the same time, I know when things turn around, I will be in good shape. I would probably just blow the $$ somewhere else anyway.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Appreciate everyones comments other than member "Trouble".... as I mentioned it is nothing financially we have to get rid of for any reason...we still travel all the time and buy our son all the toys he could ever want.... this decision is more based on is it better to hold onto a boat that you are not getting to use as much or get rid of it until you can..... I think we may test the market and put it up for sale; sit out next year; and then get into a 38 like we have been wanting to the following year.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

family comes first my man. So does food on the table, roof over a head, and the well being of a child or family member. Take a time off from the boat get your family and financials back and order then do it again. Boat is probably number one for fun but probably last on the priority list
Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
Appreciate everyones comments other than member "Trouble".... as I mentioned it is nothing financially we have to get rid of for any reason...we still travel all the time and buy our son all the toys he could ever want.... this decision is more based on is it better to hold onto a boat that you are not getting to use as much or get rid of it until you can..... I think we may test the market and put it up for sale; sit out next year; and then get into a 38 like we have been wanting to the following year.
Been there done it. I sold my first 28 Skater when the second child came along. We bought a deck boat with a huge outboard for me and a Bimini and potty for them. After 13 years of maintenance free boating and saving my money I was able to write a check for my next 28 Skater plus afford spare power heads lower units ect. Now with a 17 YO son and 14 YO daughter as crew we can enjoy poker and bat runs in the Skater as a family. Funny thing is we still spend more time on the "wife's" deck boat!

Sell it and get something you don't have to justify save and get what you want when life allows. I did and it was the best thing I ever did.

BTW your LOTO post is still one of my favorites!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.