Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Windshield or Deflector (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/257628-windshield-deflector.html)

bingo_MI 07-10-2011 12:16 PM

Windshield or Deflector

I found a few general opinions on the windshield vs deflector question, but not a ton. I'm looking to upgrade to a 38, and all I know is windshields. I'm 6'4" and almost always look over the glass which can be annoying because it's usually at just the wrong level. The glass is usually dirty, which makes looking through it not very practical as well. My concern with the deflector is wind in the cockpit, as this will be a family boat as well. I boat mostly on Lake Michigan, so I've also hear that the windshield can help in colder weather if you duck behind it. On larger boats like this, will I end up looking over or through a windshield when in the bolster? General thoughts or advice? I'm comparing Scarab 38s right now for reference.

Thanks!

Steve

Griff 07-10-2011 12:19 PM

At 6'4, you will be looking over the windshields for sure. None of them are that tall.

shinglman 07-10-2011 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 3448591)
At 6'4, you will be looking over the windshields for sure. None of them are that tall.

Not totaly true:

I am 6' 1" and my formula windsheild is more than enough. Also with the electric bolsters you can lower your seat to get below the windsheild.

J.B. Marshall 07-10-2011 05:03 PM

Formula has an electric footrest that allows you to go lower and stay below the glass or the wind deflectors that I also use on the top of my windshield.

bingo_MI 07-10-2011 05:36 PM

So it sounds like depending on the bolster I may or may not be able to look through the windshield. How about the difference between a windshield and deflector for the rest of the passengers on board?

Thanks for your help!

PokerRun388 07-10-2011 06:42 PM

Good topic, also i've noticed too, that some of these windshields make getting onto the bow of your boat very, very difficult. Some boats require you to actually climb over the top of them , and who wants to risk that! especially if your a little older..... So hopefully theres some width on the sides of your boat to walk around the windshield, if you go with one...

The deflectors: I thought about getting some for my older boat, but I just don't like the way they look, and from what im told, they won't stay up at higher speeds..... idk...

AIR TIME 07-10-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by PokerRun388 (Post 3448761)
Good topic, also i've noticed too, that some of these windshields make getting onto the bow of your boat very, very difficult. Some boats require you to actually climb over the top of them , and who wants to risk that! especially if your a little older..... So hopefully theres some width on the sides of your boat to walk around the windshield, if you go with one...

The deflectors: I thought about getting some for my older boat, but I just don't like the way they look, and from what im told, they won't stay up at higher speeds..... idk...

he is talking about a fairing, my boat had a windshield but we stuffed it in the ocean and the 3 of us got cut up. so when I put in the claim and asked if I could order the fairing from baja they said YES. I see a little more wind in my face standing, but about the same sitting. I think boats with fairings look cooler. also you can add wind deflectors to your fairings. my saber looks just right for sitting hope to see how its at a 100 in a few weeks, just had day surgery thurs day on m y special place:eek:. got hurt working on the saber dourrrrrrr .