Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Could you drive a boat with NO SOUND ???? maybe electric ? >

Could you drive a boat with NO SOUND ???? maybe electric ?

Notices

Could you drive a boat with NO SOUND ???? maybe electric ?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGSLOW
Don't cruise ships, big dump trucks, and trains do this already with a motor to generate electricity? I don't see why you cant have the bigblock sound and the electric on the boat. Instead of 2 or 3 bigblocks you might only need one.
Thats right! so take your 50' quad engine super boat and just use one engine to run the hybrid system. Get the best of both worlds! hell, if you took out 2 or 3 motors, you would have room in the back for that aft cabin you always wanted!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Registered

Oh, but I forgot, YOU CAN'T DO THAT! Don't you know? Those trains , ships, and tractor trailers running on this type of system, they not real. Thats just some made up U-TUBE video fake. Nah, it can't work, It just can't........
Old 07-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boot
Thats right! so take your 50' quad engine super boat and just use one engine to run the hybrid system. Get the best of both worlds! hell, if you took out 2 or 3 motors, you would have room in the back for that aft cabin you always wanted!
There's no such thing as a free lunch or a perpetual motion machine. If you take out 3 engines, you will need a huge battery pack so where is the savings in weight or space? As stated before on this thread, the most powerful batteries made only hold 1/10 the power per pound as gasoline. My boat takes about 100 gallons of gas to go any distance. Thats 600 lbs of fuel plus 2400 lbs of drivetrain. With an electric, you would need 6000lbs of battery plus the weight of the drivetrain and you would be range limited because you can't just fill up at a gas station. A hybred would allow you to shrink the battery pack somewhat but unless your charging motors are bigger than the drive motors, they won't be able to keep up on a long trip. A hybred car makes more sense because it runs under a much smaller load. Cruising at 60mph probably only uses 30hp in a Prius.

Last edited by PatriYacht; 07-23-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Registered

Speaking of the Prius, it was designed from the ground up to go a long distance on a small amount of energy. If they were to replace all of that complicated gear in it's drivetrain with a small turbo diesel, it would probably get 80 mpg and cost less to build. As an engineering exercise it's interestig but it's not all that effecient.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by waybomb
If you burn, say, 50 gallons of gas an hour, you'd need 8,333 pounds of batteries to replace the gas.
t.
Ooo, made a mistake here.
You'd need about 54,000 pounds of batteries to offset 50 gallons of gas.
If you burn 25 gallons of fuel charging the batteries, and attempted to offset 25 gallons of gas, you'd still need 27000 pounds of batteries.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Registered

It must just be me........ Has anyone ever seen a train? You know, that big long metal thing the weighs a about a million pounds and runs over 100 mph......... Its got a diesel engine, running a generator, turning ELECTRIC drive motors. Ever seen one ? I think alot of you are missing the whole point.

Many of you have mensioned the Prius. So YES, it does work. Its called , again, a prius..... so in a bigger scale, it works in trucks , trains, and even boats. HELLO, IS ANYBODY HOME?

you got to get past that "world is flat " thing.

Last edited by boot; 07-23-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Registered

Tell me why I should. Would it be faster, cheaper, get better gas milage? I have doubts that it would even work. Lets see, 2 500 hp electric motors, two 600hp gasoline motors to charge the batteries and a few thousand lbs in lithion ion batteries all going into a 32 ft Sunsation. For another example, that wakeboard boat mentioned earlier in this thread, goes for 8 hours at 8mph. great but how long will it go at wakeboard speeds, about a half hour? Then you have to recharge all night. I won't say that it will never work but I don't think it will be in my lifetime.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

this has been one of my major futuristic fantasies for a while now- I believe the end of the oil has to happen at some point.

imagine any number of future scenarios where anything technical is possible-
my idea is fueled because I like the torque and noise (lack of) level of electric power. (but could also be some fluxcapacitor hydrogen cell motor).
Disclaimer: I am a motorhead, I love the sound of big blocks as much as any human. We're talkin future fantasy here.

I imagined the structure of the vessel to be a material that could store the power;
and the coating on the deck to be a solar generator of some sort. that way you got a self-contained package. (brewery not included)

So, superior lightweight/strong matl, ability to fine tune weight distribution over the entire length, extreeeme torque. wheeee!

The physics/hydrodynamics of hull to ocean remain the same,
but I love the idea of smooth, instantaneous response with even more push for the control it would bring. the quiet might allow a whole new way of interacting with the scene (conversation/music).

just sayin.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boot
It must just be me........ Has anyone ever seen a train? You know, that big long metal thing the weighs a about a million pounds and runs over 100 mph......... Its got a diesel engine, running a generator, turning ELECTRIC drive motors. Ever seen one ? I think alot of you are missing the whole point.

Many of you have mensioned the Prius. So YES, it does work. Its called , again, a prius..... so in a bigger scale, it works in trucks , trains, and even boats. HELLO, IS ANYBODY HOME?

you got to get past that "world is flat " thing.
http://www.alkrug.vcn.com/rrfacts/fueluse.htm

FACT:
A coal train moving uphill at 11mph with 4 SD40-2 locos on the point and a 2 loco helper shoving on the rear has a fuel efficiency of about 48 feet per gallon. diesel electrics are efficient when you compare the fuel burn per ton moved but it only takes a fraction of the power to move that ton on a rail vs on water.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STRAIGHTPRIORITY
how else would i piss my neighbors off....
Thats to funny.The cops usually show up about 5 mins after i fire mine up on the hose....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.