Notices

Carb and my oil?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb and my oil?

I have a Gen (4) 500hp 750 cfm carbed engine and I've tried everything to get the carb from sucking in my oil, short of a puke tank. This dam carb will suck in half a quart in four hours, I have breathers on the valve covers that have 5/8 hoses up to the carb filter which I have to do or the fumes will overwhelm the engine vents with out the fans on...the other weekend I removed the oil filler cap and installed a plug in breather/vented one to try to lessen the vacuum also it helped a little but still does it.

I drilled holes into the 5/8 lines to try to lessen the vacuum that didn't work either...the engine runs so good I hate to really change it up but it does get to be a pain in the ass cleaning the carb all the time

So my question? Just keep adding oil or is there a fix, maybe better oil separators mine might not be the best but they look cool...CP has a set that claim to be separators I don't know for sure if mine r or not they were bought in a pinch when I had the vapor problem...they might just be valve cover vents with a hose nipple on them...
Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Baffles inside the vavle covers?? Or a puke tank system, that what Im in the process of doing.....
Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Registered

Baffles in the valve covers man I don't know if there's room I have these on there now I would hate to put a dam puke tank there a pain in the ( . )

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-13496...-machined.aspx
Old 07-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DWeiss67
I have a Gen (4) 500hp 750 cfm carbed engine and I've tried everything to get the carb from sucking in my oil, short of a puke tank. This dam carb will suck in half a quart in four hours, I have breathers on the valve covers that have 5/8 hoses up to the carb filter which I have to do or the fumes will overwhelm the engine vents with out the fans on...the other weekend I removed the oil filler cap and installed a plug in breather/vented one to try to lessen the vacuum also it helped a little but still does it.

I drilled holes into the 5/8 lines to try to lessen the vacuum that didn't work either...the engine runs so good I hate to really change it up but it does get to be a pain in the ass cleaning the carb all the time

So my question? Just keep adding oil or is there a fix, maybe better oil separators mine might not be the best but they look cool...CP has a set that claim to be separators I don't know for sure if mine r or not they were bought in a pinch when I had the vapor problem...they might just be valve cover vents with a hose nipple on them...
howabout putting PCV valves on both covers then route the hoses to a Vacuum source and keep the breathers but do not put hoses on them to the carb but from separate PCV's... gotta pic?

I'd definitely fix that problem as you got oil in the intake and cylinders as muchs as fogging the engine constantly...

So you got something like these??

http://www.holley.com/3434118ERL.asp

They should be breathers with PCV's in them ie restricted vacuums but sounds you do not have PCV's there by the amount of oil you're getting. Those would do the trick. If not check your blowby with a leakdown test.

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 07-11-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey just a thought..you could try these inline PCV's...http://www.jmsonline.net/pcv-valve.htm
Old 07-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Registered

Man those Earls look nice but Dang! 75 each but I guess its a quick fix...The Sierra one look quite similar to the ones listed in the CP website and 17 each might just try them before I drop 150 on the Earls...thanks for the ideas gota try something