Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
new here and new to offshore boating. >

new here and new to offshore boating.

Notices

new here and new to offshore boating.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here and new to offshore boating.

heyy guys im new here and to offshore boat.performance but ive been offshore fishing for the past 19 years,here my qustion for you guys,what do you recomend for a good starter boat,i ve been in a outerlimts thats about it,the fasttes boat ive been on so far is a quad yellow fin running 75 mph and it rode like a dream.like i said im new to all this,but were we fish out of,there are a bunch of fountians that about it,thanks for all the info
Old 07-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Registered

Smile Welcome

Originally Posted by greyghost3
heyy guys im new here and to offshore boat.performance but ive been offshore fishing for the past 19 years,here my qustion for you guys,what do you recomend for a good starter boat,i ve been in a outerlimts thats about it,the fasttes boat ive been on so far is a quad yellow fin running 75 mph and it rode like a dream.like i said im new to all this,but were we fish out of,there are a bunch of fountians that about it,thanks for all the info
....... Welcome To OSO..........

Hope you enjoy this site...!!!!!!!!

There are so many makes/models out there, you'll have to find something that works for you!!!

GOOD LUCK, with your search!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Registered

thank you sir,ahaah yess there is,how do you like your eliminator,
Old 07-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Welcome to OSO.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to OSO, it would help if we knew what your budget was.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greyghost3
heyy guys im new here and to offshore boat.
Welcome to OSO!

here my qustion for you guys,what do you recomend for a good starter boat
Pretty vague question... you might want to throw out some of your basic criteria to help folks point you in the right direction.

i ve been in a outerlimts thats about it,the fasttes boat ive been on so far is a quad yellow fin running 75 mph and it rode like a dream.
Outerlimits made a boat that didn't run better than 75 mph???
Old 07-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

welcome
Old 07-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Forget about a "starter" boat. Go for it from the get go. As soon as you get a "starter" boat the second day out you will have fourfootitis, and want something bigger, fater. Establish some parameters, budget and get the biggest, fastest you can get.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Registered

Welcome to the game, we were all newbies once.
Hell, I'm still newbie too!!!
I can't tell you what to do but can tell you what I did over my year plus search and then waiting for the lake to unfreeze where my seller lived up north.
All I wanted was a semi go-fast cruiser with 6' plus headroom in the salon set up for comfortable weekending (gen-set/ac/full head/galley) that could be trailered.
1st set a budget
2nd determine your application, your wants and your needs.
3rd try to find at least 3 or 4 boats by different manufacturers that fit your need and start your search.
4th exercise patience in your search, there will be a boat that will come in on your budget.
Finally execute a written purchase contract subjecting the unit to a survey and a seatrial

IMO, if your an offshore guy don't get into a boat less than 30' long.
And don't be afraid to post threads and ask questions here about the units you've chosen pro's and con's and about particular boats.
I probably had more threads than anybody here before asking questions, 3 of the 4 boats I contemplated were recognized by members. Everyone was always gracious answering my questions.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 07-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Welcome to OSO - and the endless pouring of money into machines that most folks think we're carzy for. Most of us think it's well worth it though!

As for a "starter" boat, that's a tough question. Some folks will tell you that nothing less than a 46' Skater will do. Some folks consider a Bayliner an "offshore" boat. (Probably because most of them away from the shore.) The truth is different for everybody.

Here's what I'd suggest. First, ride in and drive as many different brands and models as you can before you actually get serious. You'll find major differences, advantages and disadvantages. Second, anybody who tells you one boat or brand is "simply the best" is smoking crack. Every boat is "simply the best" - for somebody. Third, don't buy a new boat for your first offshore boat. A good / well cared used boat will save you a bundle. Finally, stay away from heavily modified boats. Generally speaking, they're not as reliable as a stock powered boat - and a hell of a lot cheaper to fix. And, if you decide that offshore is not for you, you'll get more of your money out of it.

Finally, welcome to the best disorder you'll ever encounter. You're among friends!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.