Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boating with a 2 year old... >

Boating with a 2 year old...

Notices

Boating with a 2 year old...

Old 07-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My kids are soon to be 6 and 2 and 1/2years old. My son was 8 months old when he started boating. He wore his lil mustang life jacket and my wife bought a hip hammick which worked perfect in supporting him whether she was sitting in the bolster seat or on the rear bench seat. My daughter started at 4months with the same set up. Never had any problems. Now, they sit with her on back bench seat. Never have any problems with that, but I also don't push the throttles too hard with them.
I would advise against a car seat for the main reason that seat would most likely not support your kids weight appropriately with the life vest on. If there is an accident on the water, sitting in the seat and restrained inappropriately may cause more injury. Also in the worst case scenario if your boat flipped, you would most likely be thrown out of the boat, disoriented, confused with your kid strapped in a car seat. Do I need to go further?

Will that scenario happen? Probably not being a responsible boater, but you don't have control of the knuckle-heads out on the water who may be drinking and driving too fast for the conditions, or the jet-skiers that ride with tunnel vision and decides to cut right in front of you and you have no other choice but to either plow into him or make a sharp evasive maneuver.
Good luck with your decision. Happy boating.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Registered

Great info! !!! I got a little girl 8 weeks old an trying to figure out when to take her out. I only have a 28 foot powerquest
Old 07-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Some of you are probably correct, I'm probably over thinking this a bit. Its just my job as a parent to make sure I'm not making dumb decisions.

Maybe its just because now that I'm into my early 40's I dont have the balls I used to have
Or maybe its because I already lost my first son when he was 19 and I'm a bit more aware of not wanting to deal with that again.

I grew up in a rough and tumble family, so over protective isn't my style. Just trying to be smart about it I guess.

I bought one of the Simpson child seats that looks like a race seat. We're a race car family so that fits...
I think the decision will be to see how it fits around the life jacket, use it if it does, but not strap her in.

Hopefully it will encourage her to not be wanting to walk around while we are under power, and she'll be able to see over the side of the boat by being a little bit higher.

Always have the option then if it gets a bit rough and bumpy on the way back to dock of doing up the straps, or if we're docking Mom can grab the rope without worrying about if the kid is trying to climb out for a swim.

Chances of a 29 Fountain going upside down at the speed we'll be traveling with kid on board is slim and none. But it still has to do a decent clip to stay on plane, its not a big boat but also not a 19ft Bayliner.

Thinking I might fabricate a mini bimini top frame for it too out of aluminum tube, for a sun shade.

We'll see how it works out this weekend. Either be a handy booster seat or a waste of $200 and a days work in the race shop

My how times have changed... Lol...
Old 07-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

My boys were boating at 5 months and at 11months. (They are now 7 and 10yrs). My wife always sat on the rear bench with them when they were younger. We had an infant carrier that we would keep on the floor when they were really young.
They will hate the lifejackets for sure, but will get used them. The wind noise used to bother my youngest more than anything else.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Our son has been boating with us since 6 months. Now have a baby girl she goes out too. Don't strap them in, just drive gently and let mom hang on to them. Most of our time on the water is going somewhere and sitting still anyway. Life vests are mandatory of course, but other than that, just be careful and all will be fine. enjoy!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think she's ready to go!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
I think she's ready to go!
Is that an LSx I see back there? Details?

*edit*
I just looked under your name
Old 07-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The sooner they're boating the better!
Attached Thumbnails Boating with a 2 year old...-morgan-2-.jpg  
Old 07-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Registered

Same daughter at 7 driving our last boat. She just turned 9 and likes the 342 even more!
Attached Thumbnails Boating with a 2 year old...-morgan5.jpg  
Old 07-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Registered

Both mates last week. They're allowed to take their jackets off if we're anchored and they stay in the cabin or cockpit. They know as soon as they start the climb to the sunpad they better have it on.
Attached Thumbnails Boating with a 2 year old...-june20111.jpg  

Last edited by Baja_342; 07-14-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.