Buying Boat in Canada and Bringing to US >

Buying Boat in Canada and Bringing to US

Notices

Buying Boat in Canada and Bringing to US

Old 01-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Boat in Canada and Bringing to US

Wondering if anyone could give some insight on what needs done when buying a boat in Canada in terms of bringing it back to the states.

I have looked online and there appears to be some forms that need to be filed. If anyone that has done this could give some information on what you have done or what you need I would appreciate it.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Registered

i don't believe it takes too much. have sold a couple boats to people in Canada and they came right over and picked them up. they did it with a quickness and never heard any problems.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:27 PM
Registered

I bought a boat from BC last year and had it shipped to Michigan. There were several forms that needed to be completed and submitted to the government. They wanted serial numbers and photos of the hull, motor and out drive. They also wanted several documents from the sale. I tbought it was in my best interest to hire an agent. They make sure everything is in order. I think it was a little over a grand. If I recall correctly it was Jones and Jones. They were great to deal with and made the process very easy.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:28 PM
Registered

I just did this about a year ago. I bought the boat in Canada and met the seller in ny to take delivery. I used an agent that the seller had recommended. I had the sell tow it in to the US. I did not want to be stuck at the boarder with a boat and be missing a form. It was an easy transaction with the help of an agent.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through this, what state will you be registering the boat in?
Old 01-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Hiring a Customs House broker or Freight Forwarder is a safe but costlier way to go over doing it yourself. Since NAFTA it's much easier to import things from Canada but you will have to deal with gov't entities as an individual which can be daunting. Check out the CBP website for guidance and maybe call the CBP Port closest to you and ask them directly. Then you can make an informed decision. You could just drive across the border with the boat in tow and very doubtful, unless you tell the CBP officer at the Port of Entry, that you are importing the boat they will even question you about it however, then you will run into problems at your state DMV who will require CBP documentation that you legally imported the boat which will lead you back to CBP and they may tell you to pound sand, bring it back to the port for importation. A little research and some call time may save you some $$$. Check out CBP's site in particular the NAFTA section. http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export

Last edited by Ing; 01-25-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:06 PM
Registered

It will be registered in Ohio. If it's not to much probables I would appreciate any info you have my email is [email protected] or you can give me a call 513-633-0725
Old 01-25-2015, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He has plenty of money hire a broker to take care of the paper work. While hes at it hire a transportation company to deliver it.

Last edited by The Get Away; 01-25-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Get away is right. Its alittle more costly but all work and reliability will be out of your hands. If some thong gos south its on them not you. And to me my time is worth something I could have gone to get my boat when I got it but to do water test survey and the time, gas and where and tear on my truck time of work would have cost me more then it did to just pay someone else to do it. And it just showed up in my driveway. It was great