Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Prayers needed.  OSO member HIGH LIFE killed >

Prayers needed. OSO member HIGH LIFE killed

Notices

Prayers needed. OSO member HIGH LIFE killed

Old 07-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are great friends of MIke. In fact I was just with him this week and as usual he inspired me with his incredible enthusiasm for offshore boating. He died the way he lived and we will miss him dearly. Our thoughts and love go out to his family.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Knew Mike from donzi.org, he certainly was a great guy. Our thoughts and prayers to Mike's family, and also the other person injured.

Godspeed Mike, see you on the big pond.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Two years ago Mike invited me to go on a poker run with him up on Narragansett Bay. It was the first time I met his son as he was just a little guy when we raced back in the day. He joined us in the boat that day.

We showed up with Mike's 27 foot Magnum sedan with the twin 300 HP outboard Mercs. All the other boats came with their assortment of blowers and number 6 drives etc. Total boat count was close to 30. Mike's son said it looks like we are outclassed....Mike and I laughed and said let's see how we do at the end of the day.

First stop we were the 5th boat, second stop we were the 4th boat and the lunch stop we were the 3rd boat in, behind a 38 foot Cigarette with blower motors and a 32 foot Sutphen.

We explained to his son that the difference was navigation. We didn't follow the boat wakes of the other runners, but set our own course and followed as straight a line as possible. That was old school open ocean racing skills and we both still loved doing it.

I could see the pride come up in his son's eyes for his dad. What first appeared to be a day in an old out of date boat with outboards, proved to his son to be a day worth remembering....which I am sure he is doing right now.

Last edited by Top Banana; 07-17-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I didn't know Mike, although sounds like the OSO community knew him quite well. Prayers and thoughts to family and friends. RIP "High Life"
Old 07-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

RIP! My thoughts and prairs go out to his family and friends. Very sad.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

my thoughts and prayers to him and family,RIP
Old 07-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I've had some scary flights off cruiser and freighter wakes. RIP
Old 07-17-2011, 10:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

Only knew him on OSO but felt like i knew him as a friend. RIP high life
Old 07-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Two years ago Mike invited me to go on a poker run with him up on Narragansett Bay. It was the first time I met his son as he was just a little guy when we raced back in the day. He joined us in the boat that day.

We showed up with Mike's 27 foot Magnum sedan with the twin 300 HP outboard Mercs. All the other boats came with their assortment of blowers and number 6 drives etc. Total boat count was close to 30. Mike's son said it looks like we are outclassed....Mike and I laughed and said let's see how we do at the end of the day.

First stop we were the 5th boat, second stop we were the 4th boat and the lunch stop we were the 3rd boat in, behind a 38 foot Cigarette with blower motors and a 32 foot Sutphen.

We explained to his son that the difference was navigation. We didn't follow the boat wakes of the other runners, but set our own course and followed as straight a line as possible. That was old school open ocean racing skills and we both still loved doing it.

I could see the pride come up in his son's eyes for his dad. What first appeared to be a day in an old out of date boat with outboards, proved to his son to be a day worth remembering....which I am sure he is doing right now.
Nice memory.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Prayer's and condolences....Godspeed "RIP"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.