38 top gun vs. 42 lightning >

38 top gun vs. 42 lightning

Notices

38 top gun vs. 42 lightning

Old 07-18-2011, 01:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
And why don't you care for fountains? Is it because you have been spoiled by the superior quality and performance of powerquest?

It always amazes me how many people bash and hate fountains. I had someone who I know, this weekend,tell me how i would be better off with a different brand, as anything would be better than a fountain. And this came from someone who had their boat repoed, and is boatless.

Go for a ride in a nicely powered 42 stagger lightning, in some rough water and run hard. Tell me if it feels 3' shorter than a 38 top gun.

My buddy who owns a cigarette, said the only reason you see a lot of fountains is because Reggie flooded the market. Umm, ok. Sure.
42 lightnings are awesome boats... got the pleasure of spending some time in one this summer with 500efi's and was very impressed. I don't agree with you knocking powerquest, they are very solid and compared to a powerquest the fountains useable room is laughable, I had to crouch down and basically crawl into the cabin of the fountain vs basically walking down into the 38 PQ and being able to stretch out.

Anyway- back to the fountain, got to take the helm for a short run and wow it handled great. My only complaint would be the left hand throttles but I'm sure you could adjust quickly. If I was fortunate enough to be in your situation id probably go with the fountain due to the cost advantage vs the Cig premium, and performance numbers.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Trying to compare the cabin of a 38 powerquest, and a 38 lightning, is not a fair comparison. Its like in the 80's, when wellcraft made the 42FT excalibur eagle. Huge cabins, amenities, 6ft headroom, etc. Does that mean in 1986 the 42 wellcraft was better than a 41 apache? The guy buying the apache has different ideas for his boating. Same goes for today.

I will say the cabin in my 38 is small compared to say a Top Gun cabin. Its not due to the length, but rather the hull design. The fountains hullsides do not flare out like a top gun, which makes it narrower in the cabin. Plus it is a lower freeboard boat. So you do lose some height and width.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Registered

I was just giving some.of the pro's of the 38 PQ since you decided to take a jab @ them bc of PWRQWST's reply. Let's not highjack tho- I said take the fountain that should in theory put me on your side of the discussion/argument
Old 07-18-2011, 07:03 AM
Registered

Both are good boats and will excel in different areas.

My guess is you wont be spending much time on a race course, so buy what fits your style of boating the best. Spend some time on each and see which you like... Both are solid options.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
This is gonna be good. Another fountain vs. Cig thread.

My advice, go for a ride in both boats yourself. Both boats are very capable, and well built.
AGREED....
Old 07-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
Both are good boats and will excel in different areas.

My guess is you wont be spending much time on a race course, so buy what fits your style of boating the best. Spend some time on each and see which you like... Both are solid options.
exactly
Old 07-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Joe
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't matter if you buy the Fountain or the Cig, because the people on shore or at the dock, are going to say " BOY LOOK AT CIGARETTE BOAT" or should I say cigar boat.....
Old 07-18-2011, 08:55 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where do you do your boating and what kind of water are you willing to run in????? Only after you answer these questions can I give you an honest opinion!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree...ride in both in likely conditions that you will be running in. Fountain will pry be faster with same power. From what ive seen the overall fit and finish of the cig is better and the cabin is put together better. 2 of my friends have had fountains and both have said the cabin is poorly constructed. Usable room and freeboard go to the cig. At the end of the day its all in what you want...its your money and you have to be happy with it.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

I'd have to flip a coin to decide.
ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.