Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking to go bigger need opinions..... >

Looking to go bigger need opinions.....

Notices

Looking to go bigger need opinions.....

Old 07-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking to go bigger need opinions.....

I had a 1985 Baja Force 250 a few years back. While not a fast boat by any means (had a small blaock) it would run 48 on the GPS, but had an enormous cockpit and a nicly sized cabin (for a 25' boat). The cockpit was larger than any other boat in its class becasue the back seat was actually over the engine compartment. WHile this made maintenance and repairs a giant pain in the a$$, it made for a very roomy cockpit. I sold that boat and picked up my current boat a Velocity 260. THis boat handles much better, is incredibly fast considering it is a stock 496 mag. Very efficent on gas, has a decent sized cabin. However the cockpit is very small compared to my previous Baja Force 250. While I love the speed and efficency of the Velocity 260 I think I may be looking to step up a bit to gain some of the spacious cockpit space back....

So far in my searches the Baja 302 and 342 have caught my eye as having the cockpit space I am looking for. In addition to the bigger cockpit and cabin, I would like a boat with AC and a generator. I am not overly concerned with top speed, as I am fine cruising at 45-50 mph with occasional top speed runs. A boat that will top out in the mid to high 60s is fine with me.... I use my Velocity as a family boat and just need more space and features. I would like to stay with Mercuruiser motors 496 mag, 496 mag ho, 502mpi mag, or 454MPI mag as they seem to be rock solid and don't require the maintenance that the "blue" motrs require.

Given the above information, are than any other boat (manufactures) other than Baja that offer the features I am looking for? This is not an immediate move for me as I think if I do decide to step up it will be in the off season (I will continue to enjoy my Velocity this season). I think I would like to stay at or below the mid-60s (price) or slightly above if necessary. I don't mind purchasing a boat that may need interior/cockpit work, but I do want a solid and mechanically sound boat.

I am not looking to buy right now, just keepin an eye toward the future. But I would like to compare more than just one Baja to another if there are other brands that offer the same bang for the buck........

thanx in advance for your opinions!

Last edited by low_psi; 07-19-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The 342 is about the smallest boat I know of that had a genny as an option.
Plenty of others in the 33-35 range have A/C but must be hooked to shorepower.
A 33 Outlaw has a huge cockpit.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kind of figured the 342 was where I was going to end up if I want a Generator... I like the idea of being able to be anchored out for a weekend and still being able to have AC. I really hate being hot when trying to sleep. This is one of the reasons we seldom overnight in the Velocity...

I liked the idea of the 302 as it appears to just be a shorter version of the 342, but without generator.....

One other thing I really like about my Velocity is the Windshield, which is another reason the 302 and 342 have caught my eye. I know the .38 special has all the things I am looking for as well, but I really don't wnat a boat that is that big. I think 34' is about as big as I want to go.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about a Powerquest 320 sport cruiser?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Nordic had a Shore Power/Ships Power switch on the 120V panel, the Shore Power position was the plug in on the starboard side of the boat for when the boat is docked. I put another plug in on the stern above the swim step and wired that to the "Ships Power" switch. This allows me to strap my Honda EU2000 generator on the swim step, using a short adapter plug that goes from 15A Household to 30A RV I plug the generator directly into the "Ships Power" plug in.

We run the 9500 BTU A/C every weekend on this in Arizona and it keeps our cabin at a chilly 75 degrees. We do have a Carbon Monoxide detector in the cabin just in case, I suggest that everyone have one installed anyway if you are sleeping on your boat.