Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   85 chris craft stinger 390 drives wont trim & leaking! Help!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/258520-85-chris-craft-stinger-390-drives-wont-trim-leaking-help.html)

darkostoj 07-20-2011 08:58 PM

85 chris craft stinger 390 drives wont trim & leaking! Help!!

I tore apart my boat today trying to figure out what the problem is but had no luck!

85 christ craft stinger 390 with TRS drives. The only info I see on the trim pump is a sticker that says "SAE J1171 Marine"

the left trim would go down, but not up so I figured it had something to do with the drive location sensor. I looked at the wires and they were completely corroded.

I took the 2 purple wires, made a jumper and everything worked fine.

I put the switch panel back in to find that it stopped working!!

The left drive switch has 2-12v wires going to it. One for the up and one for the down. The 12v wire to put the drive up is dead and I can jump the switch and get the drive to work.

I had 12v to that wire when I jumped the 2 purple sensor wires, but its not there anymore!

when I connect and disconnect the jumper for the trim sensors I can hear a relay clicking up by the switch panel, but still no 12v to that wire for the drive down switch!

Now on my right trim pump i've been noticing some rainbow water around the back of the boat the past couple days. Now by hearing the pump I can tell its dry.

Any idea where it could be leaking from?

Any info on what fluid to use to fill & how to fill?

All the help I can get is appreciated!!! This is frustrating and I just wanna get back on the water!!

These are what the pumps look like(not my actual pumps) Where do you fill these damn things?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...4623181cfc.jpg

rexcramer1 07-20-2011 11:22 PM

I am not familiar with that pump but its a hydraulic cylinder so any hydraulic fluid (Merc or AW46) HY fluid will work. If its leaking find the leak first, check the the cylinder seals and pump first.

When all else fails run a line from the battery to the pump and verify that the pump is fine and work your way towards the dash from there

Griff 07-22-2011 01:49 AM

Is this the same pump maybe????
http://www.recycleperformance.com/se...pump%2C/Detail

darkostoj 07-22-2011 07:58 AM

well after spending all day yesterday working on it I finally got it all figured out.

I have a leaky hose on my starbord side that goes to the trim. Anyone know where I can get replacement hoses? I was probably just going to pull it out of the water and have some made, but if I can order some premade ones that might be easier.

jetcruzr 07-22-2011 08:48 AM

Call Dave at North Bay Marine. They are very knowledgable with performance boats and do first class work. They are not the cheapest by any means, but I have always been really happy with their help and service. 1-586-725-2628. Are you the grey Stinger at JBM? Beautiful boat!

DMOORE 07-22-2011 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by darkostoj (Post 3459363)
well after spending all day yesterday working on it I finally got it all figured out.

I have a leaky hose on my starbord side that goes to the trim. Anyone know where I can get replacement hoses? I was probably just going to pull it out of the water and have some made, but if I can order some premade ones that might be easier.

Having a local hose company make some new ones will save you a bunch of coin. With the age of the boat, it may be worth having all 4 hoses replaced.

Darrell.

darkostoj 07-22-2011 11:43 AM

out of curiousity anyone know where I can look up the maintenance for TRS drives? With the boat out of the water might as well check and get everything up to spec!

DMOORE 07-22-2011 11:51 AM

Sterndrives.com has them (manuals). Since it's out, and if you don't know how old the bellow are, it may be something you want to change as well.

Darrell.

wjb21ndtown 07-22-2011 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by darkostoj (Post 3459538)
out of curiousity anyone know where I can look up the maintenance for TRS drives? With the boat out of the water might as well check and get everything up to spec!

I have a service manual for the TRS drive. Is yours the light gray, gray, dark gray 39' that I see out by Art Van once in a while? Was for sale behind KFC forever at 10 and Gratiot.

Also, I believe that pump is an "oildyne" pump. I have the same ones. If its going one direction and not the other you probably have a bad soleniod, which is why it works when you jump it, but not at the switch. A soleniod is about $35-50 bux, depending on where you get it. I have the same issue with my starboard drive right now. I just can't tell if my issue is at the switch or the solenoid itself. I need a buddy with a test light to come down and give me a hand.

wjb21ndtown 07-22-2011 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by darkostoj (Post 3459363)

Go to "Earls Fittings" on 15 mile, I think. They can custom make any hose for about $50-$75 out of nice stainless steel. We had them make new lines for some K-planes on our 37' Scarab a few years ago.