Coast Guard register deletion >

Coast Guard register deletion

Notices

Coast Guard register deletion

Old 08-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
In our area I think you see the opposite.

The CG Doc boats tend to get pulled a lot less. Been several instances lately where I have flown right by CG/Marine Police with nothing but a wave, while they aggressively stopped all the other boats.

In our area most of why they pull you are to check for up to date registration, and your safety equipment. If you are Documented the former really is a non-issue so that simply leaves the safety equipment.

Personally, I think with me they probably assume that if I have $1,000 worth of fuel on board that I probably sprung the $8 bucks for flares.

I do think it is different though in other areas.
This has been my experience as well with both of my documented boats. Just doesn't make sense to pay the state every year for the 'privaledge' of putting fugly numbers on the bow when all the Coasties require is a stamp to mail the form back every year and some nice lettering on the transom. (And numbers somewhere out of sight too.)
Old 08-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default documented vessels

I had a documented vessel years ago and the only downside I could see is the U.S. Government's right to commandeer your vessel for their use at their discretion. The lender I borrowed from for it's purchase required documentation as a condition of the loan.